Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Rob

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by Rob »

cybot wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:39 am
Cyndale wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:16 pm
cybot wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:59 pmBTW it's taken me nearly 40 years to finally appreciate/get Lizard. As I said they're never boring.......
So my parallel universe was okay then, I appreciated/got Traffic straight away!
That's like comparing Val Doonican to Stravinski lol!

Surely jest!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Rob wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:41 pm
cybot wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:59 pm
Rob wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:58 pm Very nice selection Cybot - I prefer their earliest stuff too and feel they began to slip a bit in the mid 70s, starting on Larks's and Red (though they are still good albums), when it appears that Fripp gave up playing acoustic guitar and started to get into a more dissonant sound with borderline metal riffing, which also mars some of the material on their later albums too IMHO, such as Thrak, but overall they are or quite recently were a creative band unlike so many of their 60s contemporaries, sadly enough. This change may be the fault of Brian E. but that's just a theory of mine! :)
Thanks Rob. Though I still love Larks and Red. The first time I heard Red I was amazed. Stunning absolutely stunning! Creativity was definitely their forte. Listening to King Crimson is never boring. Another album I love is his collaborative effort with a certain David Sylvian who, somehow, manages to sail through the guitar onslaught from Robert. Some gorgeous guitar noodling abound too. Will we blame the bald one for that ha ha?

BTW it's taken me nearly 40 years to finally appreciate/get Lizard. As I said they're never boring.......
Oh no I feel Red is a good to very good album, (particularly Fallen Angel), as I noted in my comment above, but with Larks Part II and onward to Red, Fripp had abandoned the acoustic guitar and started engaging in some fairly ordinary metal riffing - this became a feature of Crimson's later work - such as on Vroom and Thrak - and perhaps not coincidentally, those older tracks were a highlight their double-trio concerts, which featured interludes of Fripp's soundscapes, which often come across as a parody of 80s b-movie horror soundtracks. Quite a lot of their other songs during this period were impressive however but the above is perhaps why I would never say I'm an unequivocal fan of Crimson beyond their 1969-71 period. The great bald one intervened in Fripp's career as well as Bowie's - after the so-called 'Berlin period' Bowie was rubbish so don't dismiss the possibility! :)
Don't worry I get it :)
cybot

Post by cybot »

Rob wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:45 pm
cybot wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:39 am
Cyndale wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:16 pm

So my parallel universe was okay then, I appreciated/got Traffic straight away!
That's like comparing Val Doonican to Stravinski lol!

Surely jest!
Of course I'm jesting lol ;)

Never really got into Traffic as the lights were always red :)

Though I clearly remember when when I first got Lizard and, incidentally, Ege Bamayasi as well. I was horrified when I listened at home. No recognisable guitar solos on either albums. Avant Garde jazz on Lizard. WTF!!!! Weaned as I was on the behemoths (read:Popular) of the day like Zep, Sabs and Purple this was definitely a left turn of no return. Got rid of them soon after. Roll on a thousand years and I find myself giving both a second listen. I was horrified again (!!!) at how wrong I was about the albums. Way ahead of their time. That's why I believe that if an album doesn't hit the spot immediately it's a good sign. Plus long guitar solos aren't everything lol!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Rob

Post by Rob »

cybot wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:38 pm Never really got into Traffic as the lights were always red :)
Very good lol!
Though I clearly remember when when I first got Lizard and, incidentally, Ege Bamayasi as well. I was horrified when I listened at home. No recognisable guitar solos on either albums. Avant Garde jazz on Lizard. WTF!!!! Weaned as I was on the behemoths (read:Popular) of the day like Zep, Sabs and Purple this was definitely a left turn of no return. Got rid of them soon after. Roll on a thousand years and I find myself giving both a second listen. I was horrified again (!!!) at how wrong I was about the albums. Way ahead of their time. That's why I believe that if an album doesn't hit the spot immediately it's a good sign. Plus long guitar solos aren't everything lol!
Maybe there's hope yet for Sigue Sigue Sputnik! ;)
Rob

Post by Rob »

cybot wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:38 pm Never really got into Traffic as the lights were always red :)
Very good lol!
Though I clearly remember when when I first got Lizard and, incidentally, Ege Bamayasi as well. I was horrified when I listened at home. No recognisable guitar solos on either albums. Avant Garde jazz on Lizard. WTF!!!! Weaned as I was on the behemoths (read:Popular) of the day like Zep, Sabs and Purple this was definitely a left turn of no return. Got rid of them soon after. Roll on a thousand years and I find myself giving both a second listen. I was horrified again (!!!) at how wrong I was about the albums. Way ahead of their time. That's why I believe that if an album doesn't hit the spot immediately it's a good sign.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Rob wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:08 pm
Very good lol!
That's a good one too lol!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Listening to these 'intelligent' guys a lot lately.....Donald Roeser I salute you 🎸

Accidentally discovered a whole treasure trove of pre BÖC stuff (Stalk Forrest Group). On double vinyl too :)

https://youtu.be/HKa6MEdV_2c

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Giving this another listen after a recommendation from Ivor. Very refined...

Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »