It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 22

jkeny

Re: It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Post by jkeny »

tony wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:19 pm That looks very close to completion Nigel. Looks great. Where are 'we' at with this?
Don't be disturbing him - he's busy doing welding :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Ah
Hadn't much opportunity to do much this last couple weeks
I'm a hairs breath from having it singing the power management seems to be working maybe a little fine tuning
Then it's on to Fran and Gerry for lighting and casework
The toroid company buggered up my last transformer order not too bad just need to lengthen the leads waiting on parts for that then some one can do that job
Various other stuff
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Look close to a final assembly alright, I have 3 extra sets of cradles printed here to replace the "welding experiment" damage which I can now see :-)
All the Yellow leads are soldered, heat shrunk and tested here as well.

I am free next weekend to help out in any way needed.

Post by tony »

jkeny wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:59 pm
tony wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:19 pm That looks very close to completion Nigel. Looks great. Where are 'we' at with this?
Don't be disturbing him - he's busy doing welding :)
Just massive guilt trip here. I am free also next weekend to fit in to whatever is required. Either down in Nigels or up here. You can stay the weekend if it makes sense to put a couple of days effort into it. The basement is a shell but underflooring heating and perfect for doing assembly.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Yes maybe here on Sat for a casual type of thing
We could cut some aluminium
Get this prototype functional
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

This has been an interesting thread.

FOREVER will be gone the idea that Nigel's work is always a mess. I know the feeling, my work is never very pretty since nothing stays in the same place very long - you put the thing in a box and then modification becomes an aggravation. Better to be rough and ready in the world of far gone kook audio which Nigel could be the dictionary definition. I can only aspire to the same heights.

Must say I am fascinated by all of this effort aimed at the good ole LM3875 but I have not heard it in this iteration so I will hold my peace.

But there is no question the layout and execution is firmly in the FIRST CLASS category.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rickmcinnis wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:41 pm
Must say I am fascinated by all of this effort aimed at the good ole LM3875 but I have not heard it in this iteration so I will hold my peace.

i understand the fascination
youll just have to trust this iteration isnt even remotely comparable to regular audiosector 3875
the initial experiment was to see the difference of power supply "lifepo4" on the audiosector 3875 version
often you will find simple circuits really shine with stellar power supplies, this is probably one of the best examples of that theory i have found
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

I am told the thing was used in car radios so we would know what it sounds like with an SLA in a very noisy environment!

AS you know I used the 3875 for a couple of years. I am sure they did not sound anything like what you have coaxed out of this amplifier.

I took apart my SOEKRIS/SDTrans setup last night. Have returned to LPs.

I had two 26650s in series for 5 volts and they had soiled themselves. I thought there was something slightly wrong with the setup. This powered the FPGA on the SDTrans. It only needs 1.8 v (something like that) but I ran the 5 volts into the main power input which then used the onboard regulator. Only place on the board I used the onboard regulator.

Good thing you are charging each battery separately. Just two batteries in series and they failed eventually. Thought I could get away with it. Thought for sure it would not be a problem.

Not a good idea, is it? Works for a time, though.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

see this copper grounding T, has anyone have any ideas how to do that better?
Derek

Post by Derek »

Wire and eye connectors. A bit like the wire tails we did.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.