Hard disk music question

Ken Moreland

Re: Hard disk music question

Post by Ken Moreland »

Fran, thanks for the kind offer. I have bitten the bullet and sent pm to JK so I'm about to set sail. But I'll certainly be available later to torment you with silly questions.
best regards
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Hi Ken,
Got your PM & replied.
I'm available for torment too :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Its fairly fit and forget from my (very) limited experience....

My buffalo DAC is supposed to do 24/192, but theres a little chip on the board thats not quite up to it. I need to just change that chip and I should be able to stream 24/192. I can get to 24/96 as it is right now.

What would be a great service to us all is the reverse of the hiface - an ADC capable of doing 24/192 with as good a quality as the hiface!

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Fran, how are you able to confirm the frequency that you are able to get , eg 96khz but not 192khz?
regards
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I'm believing what foobar tells me!!

I don't have any indication from the DAC if thats what you mean....

[sarcasm]All you have to do is believe everything the computer tells you and everything will be well with the world!! [/sarcasm]

Fran
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

There also is a little application that comes with the Hiface that shows what bit depth & speed is being handled by the Hiface - it agrees with Foobar but could be useful for check the streaming quality of Wolfgang's vaults. The app is called "display.exe" in the M2tech folder.

[sarc]Yes, you've gotta believe in what the computer says - we live in the digital age, afterall - bit is bits - if it's not black then it's white [/sarcasm]
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Modest

Post by Modest »

Does any one try this silver magic box ? looking good and reviews are positive and interesting dCS Asynchronous USB technology.
http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,solo,DACs,rDac.htm#
2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I can tell you that the hiface definitely works streaming from WGV through the browser:
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (96.8 KiB) Viewed 760 times
However, I can't get it to tell me the rates being passed to the DAC.

Using foobar, both foobar and the hiface "display" program agree, see here:
Capture.JPG
(174.55 KiB) Downloaded 172 times

Installation was easy. I'm running vista 64 bit, and I just downloaded the files from the hiface site, it installed in a few moments and recognized the hiface. Then I went into foobar playback and selected the hiface as my playback device. That worked AOK. When I wanted to play through the browser, I had to go into control panel, sounds, then choose it as the playback device. Then it worked AOK there too.

Listening at the moment to that concert of Sarah Vaughan at Newport 1964.

Wolfgang's Vault is great ain't it?

Fran
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Here's what WGV says about streaming: "WVIP members get 192kbps streams, double our standard bitrate. You will love the quality difference and please don᾿t blame us if it prompts you to buy better speakers." Is anybody a WVIP member? Notice a better quality? I'm thinking of signing up!
www.Ciunas.biz
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote: Listening at the moment to that concert of Sarah Vaughan at Newport 1964.

Wolfgang's Vault is great ain't it?

Fran
I really must listen to that more.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable