Blues - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Blues - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:BB King Completely live and completely well.

A 2 disc composite of two earlier albums
An absolute gem, live sides are very atmospheric... bought via Vintage Vinyl Group on Facebook

Well if it contains the Cook County Jail live one then you're telling the truth. It's actually the only album of his I can listen to in one sitting. Never really got BB......I felt he devoted most of energy to singing and less to his guitar. Nothing wrong with that but still......
cybot

Post by cybot »

Had a bit of an epiphany listening to this absolutely fabulous set. Got it way back in the last century and only got around to listening to it properly recently. That's the enigma of box sets. In my eyes Muddy can do no wrong. That honest mannish roar is just so intoxicating! His guitar playing on the early sides from '47 is perfect......

Ivor

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote: Well if it contains the Cook County Jail live one then you're telling the truth. It's actually the only album of his I can listen to in one sitting. Never really got BB......I felt he devoted most of energy to singing and less to his guitar. Nothing wrong with that but still......
No, it's a different live one, I have Cook County too, great album. His style is more jazz, more Chicago than many blues men but when he stops singing and plays those solos... oh man I can't fault it... such expression.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:
cybot wrote: Well if it contains the Cook County Jail live one then you're telling the truth. It's actually the only album of his I can listen to in one sitting. Never really got BB......I felt he devoted most of energy to singing and less to his guitar. Nothing wrong with that but still......
No, it's a different live one, I have Cook County too, great album. His style is more jazz, more Chicago than many blues men but when he stops singing and plays those solos... oh man I can't fault it... such expression.
Yeah his short solos are are a thing of beauty. I have a totally instrumental guitar album of his somewhere I must dig out. Nothing but guitar :)
tweber

Post by tweber »

cybot wrote:
Ivor wrote:
Yeah his short solos are are a thing of beauty. I have a totally instrumental guitar album of his somewhere I must dig out. Nothing but guitar :)

I like him but his music can be a bit sterile at times. Prefer the rawness/soul of Freddie or Albert.
Don't think he could sing and play at the same time either-saw him live twice mind and he was still great
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote:
cybot wrote:
Ivor wrote: No, it's a different live one, I have Cook County too, great album. His style is more jazz, more Chicago than many blues men but when he stops singing and plays those solos... oh man I can't fault it... such expression.

I like him but his music can be a bit sterile at times. Prefer the rawness/soul of Freddie or Albert.
Don't think he could sing and play at the same time either-saw him live twice mind and he was still great
That's interesting as I felt exactly the same! That's what I meant by the epiphanic feeling I got when I finally understood where he was coming from! Freddie and Albert were always my number one's and always will be.

On a separate note what's your opinion on the SRV/ Albert King set? Every time I see the sleeve I just switch off! But.......I believe it's one worth having. What do you think?

Memo to Ivor: Spotted the Allman's Ludlow set in Tower on vinyl.....
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote: Memo to Ivor: Spotted the Allman's Ludlow set in Tower on vinyl.....
and all my vouchers are for Freebird... it may turn up there anyway. No hurry I have loads to listen at the moment.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:
cybot wrote: Memo to Ivor: Spotted the Allman's Ludlow set in Tower on vinyl.....
and all my vouchers are for Freebird... it may turn up there anyway. No hurry I have loads to listen at the moment.
That's the thing we do have loads to listen to; Sometimes we forget that!
tweber

Post by tweber »

On a separate note what's your opinion on the SRV/ Albert King set? Every time I see the sleeve I just switch off! But.......I believe it's one worth having. What do you think?
Yeah Dermot, I have the SRV & Albert King album on cd but haven't listened to it in a long time. Good stuff from what I remember, there's a nice version of Stormy Monday on it. I think it is on vinyl now too.
That Muddy Boxset looks nice by the way.
Got the Ludlow set too but still in the "must listen to" pile : )
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote:
Yeah Dermot, I have the SRV & Albert King album on cd but haven't listened to it in a long time. Good stuff from what I remember, there's a nice version of Stormy Monday on it. I think it is on vinyl now too.
That Muddy Boxset looks nice by the way.
Got the Ludlow set too but still in the "must listen to" pile : )
Thanks for that Shane. Looking forward to hearing what you think of the Ludlow set....