Hard disk music question

james

Re: Hard disk music question

Post by james »

Some clarifications ...

1) With the computer on the same rack as the hifi .....

1a) you can connect the analog audio output of the computer to the input of your amplifier [with a suitable cable]

1b) If you have a DAC with an SPDIF input and the computer has an SPDIF output you can connect this way

1c) If you have a DAC with a USB input and the computer has a USB output you can connect this way

1d) Unfortunatly SPDIF outputs are rare on computers [although I think the MacMini is an exception] and USB inputs are rare on DAC's [although this is changing]. So one solution is to use the HiFace to convert the USB output of the computer into an SPDIF output. Another option is to add an internal soundcard with an SPDIF output.

2) With the computer in a different room to the hifi ...

2a) You need some sort of way to connect an ethernet cable into the hifi and the Squeezebox lets you do this my making a wireless connection with the computer [through a router] or by making a wired connecion with a long ethernet cable

2b) The Squeezbox has both an analog and a SPDIF output so you can connect it to an amplifier or to a DAC

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/906slim/

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/modw ... orter.html

James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Would the Eircom broadband box be suitable or work for beaming music from the pc to the Squeezbox?
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Yes, that will work AOK.

Rocker, I know I'm a bit away from you, but you're welcome to call over anytime to have a look at the squeezebox setup.

If your eircom box has wireless (and they nearly all do), then you won't even need a wire from the eircom box to the squeezebox.

Its actually pretty easy to do. And best of all, you should be able to use the digital output of the squeezebox to feed into your CDP and you can have it as a second input.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
james

Post by james »

Hi Rocker,

Some other things you might consider ..

I have what is referred to as the Squeezbox Classic. The only problem with this is that you have to have your computer switched on when you are listenning to music ...

I believe this version may not be available anymore and has been replaced by the Squeezbox Touch. I have heard rumours that you can attach a USB external drive to this version so in that case you would not need to have your computer switched on all the time. BUT I HAVE NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE OF THIS OPTION and so you will need to check out that this works. Maybe someone else on this board can confirm this ?

You can also -- if you get serious -- replace your computer with a NAS drive [network attached storage -- i.e. a disk with a cpu and ethernet connection] which typically will use very little power.

james
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Hi Fran, have you ever tried streaming a concert from the Wolfgang's Vault site directly into your dac via the Hiface product, without downloading it first? I understand this uses the browser rather than Foobar or similar . I am interested in exploring this technology and if the large amounts of live concerts could be streamed directly (there's no legal issue) through a Hiface it would be a good place to start.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Hi Ken,

No, I haven't done exactly that, but I currently use the browser method all the time. My PC has a SPDIF out, so I stream from that. I just haven't had a chance to hook up the HiFace here yet and try that combo... but soon!

I can't imagine there would be the slightest problem. When you install the hiface drivers, and select it as your audio device, all system sounds go through it so I can't see how it wouldn't do the very same for the streaming. I'll try it later if I get a chance.

Fran
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Hi Fran, thanks for the info. I have no worries about the Hiface, just the quality of signal through the browser. From your reply I understand you are getting cd to hi-res quality into your system from the browser so looks like it all works ok.
regards
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

No, I dont think so. The bit rate is dependant on the material. The hiface can cope with anything up to 24/192. so if its below that, then it will transmit it. But your dac also has to be able to take it. Not that many dacs that can take 24/192 at the moment.....

Anecdotally, the SQ through the browser is AOK, better than say, most streaming radio stations. The stream is 16/44 (ie CD standard), but bear in mind that it depends on the stream too. So, say many internet radio stations might only stream at 128kbps as MP3 and will sound shite even though your PC/hiface/soundcard will use 16/44. You can't recover the lost bits.....

Fran
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Hi Fran, thanks for the info. My Benchmark DAC1 is good up to 24bit/192khz so I don't think that will be a limiting factor but it looks as though everything from WGV is originally 16bit/44.1khz. Last hight I downloaded a few 24bit/96khz demo tracks free from HDTracks.com and these are playing on the laptop via Foobar this morning.I am keen to get hi-res downloads running into my dac/amp, as well as streaming the huge concert vault archive.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Ken, would you be interested in calling over sometime/me calling to you with the hiface to try out?

Fran