Proposed Jazz Thread

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
fergus

Re: Proposed Jazz Thread

Post by fergus »

I have now had one listen through this 4 CD set....

There are 50 tracks on it and I am comfortable with 48 of them. The odd 2 out are both by Stephane Grappelli. Dislike would be too strong a word but I certainly did not find them as easy or as comfortable to listen to as everything else; perhaps it is the particular instrument in this genre that is not appealing to me?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Derek

Post by Derek »

Fergus, you and me both, I'm not a violin Jazz fan or for that matter flute.
But I can very much appreciate talent and skill of the musician.
Another area of jazz that leaves me lost is free-form or avant-garde.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:I have now had one listen through this 4 CD set....

There are 50 tracks on it and I am comfortable with 48 of them. The odd 2 out are both by Stephane Grappelli. Dislike would be too strong a word but I certainly did not find them as easy or as comfortable to listen to as everything else; perhaps it is the particular instrument in this genre that is not appealing to me?
I rarely listen to Jazz fiddle other than the Ray Nance performances with Ellington. The tone is totally different to that of classical musicians other than Jascha Heifetz (he always sounds like a fiddle player to my ear).
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Derek wrote:Fergus, you and me both, I'm not a violin Jazz fan or for that matter flute.
Derek, have you listened to flautists Norris Turney with the Ellington Orchestra, Frank Wess with the New York Jazz Quartet or even Roland Kirk? 'tis super stuff.

Turney with Ellington:
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Derek wrote:Fergus, you and me both, I'm not a violin Jazz fan or for that matter flute.

I am OK with the flute in the line up Derek. I suppose that goes back to my early days with exposure to bands like Focus and their various spin offs. I was also at a lot of sessions where a guy called Brian Dunning played. He was great; I wonder whatever became of him?
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:

I am OK with the flute in the line up Derek. I suppose that goes back to my early days with exposure to bands like Focus and their various spin offs. I was also at a lot of sessions where a guy called Brian Dunning played. He was great; I wonder whatever became of him?
Brian Dunning is super, he went to the US, I saw him in concert many times. I have him on a splendid recording with Louis Stewart.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: Brian Dunning is super, he went to the US, I saw him in concert many times. I have him on a splendid recording with Louis Stewart.

Cheers for that Seán. I was interested as I had lost track of him.
Gussy Finknottle

Post by Gussy Finknottle »

Not a lot of people know this but Brian Dunning has played with Jaco Pastorius,Not sure when or where but i am looking in to it.

Guilt has got the better of me and i must confess that it was me who supplied these life changing DVD.s to Fergus which might take years to recover from.Maybe i should have started off on a gentle note but no,i sent him Weather Report.Jaco Pastorius.Eberhard Weber.Jan Garbarek.Terje Typdal.Jazz Pistols.Maria Jaoa.Joe Zawinul.Marcus Rheinhardt Ensemble.Modern Swing Quartet.My sincere apologies for any loss of hearing or blurred vision
He who dies with the most expensive HiFi wins
Seán

Post by Seán »

Gussy Finknottle wrote:Not a lot of people know this but Brian Dunning has played with Jaco Pastorius,Not sure when or where but i am looking in to it.

Guilt has got the better of me and i must confess that it was me who supplied these life changing DVD.s to Fergus which might take years to recover from.Maybe i should have started off on a gentle note but no,i sent him Weather Report.Jaco Pastorius.Eberhard Weber.Jan Garbarek.Terje Typdal.Jazz Pistols.Maria Jaoa.Joe Zawinul.Marcus Rheinhardt Ensemble.Modern Swing Quartet.My sincere apologies for any loss of hearing or blurred vision
That's a fabulous selection.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Gussy Finknottle wrote:
Guilt has got the better of me and i must confess that it was me who supplied these life changing DVD.s to Fergus which might take years to recover from....

I was trying to be discreet by not publicly “outing” you with being compliant in this matter. Your efforts back then actually started the germination of this interest that I now feel I am in a position to progress a little further with. I am not sure now whether or not I should once again thank you but fortunately I have not yet suffered from any loss of hearing or blurred vision LOL!!!