Does anyone own Sonus Faber Elipsas?

tony

Re: Does anyone own Sonus Faber Elipsas?

Post by tony »

Diapason wrote:Floorstanders, not as high end as Futuras and a completely different style:

http://www.sonusfaber.com/en-us/products/elipsa-red
Suspected they were the ones but there are stand versions and was wondering where you considering putting them elsewhere.
They look really nice and I assume would be potential replacements for the Kharma's

Maybe a flight to the uk is going to beckon.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Steve wrote:Just to take a bit of a slant on this, has anybody heard the SF Strads in comparison to later SF models? I ask since both the Strads and the Elipsa's were Franco Serbelin's last SF designs...
I heard a pair of Stradivaris in Seattle last year. The sales guy assumed I worked for Microsoft or Boeing (something to do with them costing north of $95,000).

They were driven by a wall of McIntosh and were in a large, open space. They still managed to create an intimacy, an engagement, stupendous soundstage and sense of 'air'. As the owner of a pair of SF Cremona Auditor M (Serbelin), I recognised that gorgeous mid and tweeter with their speed, precision and sweet highs - the Sonus Faber signature.

The Strads are beautiful speakers to hear and to behold.

They had the newer ranges on display too - Amati Futura which I auditioned. Beautiful sounding but tbh I prefer the more traditional, made by 'master violin maker' look of the Serbelin designs.
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That's a great report, Terry. The SE Elipsa has the same tweeter as the Strads, so you'd expect that some of the sonic signature would be shared.

Edit: I see a LOT of people online using Sonus Faber with McIntosh. I don't think I've ever clapped eyes on a Mac amp either.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

I think part of this is because they are owned by the same company. Finer Sounds own Sonus Faber, Wadia, McIntosh, Audio Research and Sumiko.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

They are a stunning looking speaker Simon, no doubt about it. Really hope it works out for you if you decide to take the plunge but gosh, it really is a huge risk. There doesn't seem to be anything locally that even remotely floats your boat so you probably just have to take the leap of faith but be prepared that you may have to move them on and start again.
Are they low wattage-valve friendly though? The older SF's always seem to be partnered with high wattage SS stuff.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

DaveF wrote: Are they low wattage-valve friendly though?
No, not really. Actually, that's not true per se, but they need gobs of current (I think they dip to 1.7ohms) so my OTLs would not be up to the task. Still, an amp change wouldn't really bother me if I found the right speakers. If...
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Valves in fairness are capable of much more punishment than SS transistors.

Valves can be over driven for hours, but semiconductors will burn out in microseconds.

The problem on valve amps would be auxiliary components, i.e. resistors etc, but rarely would you get a valve going tits up. Valves are as tough as old boots......mostly.

If you want 'Soundstage' then going up in driver size is the only option... 10 inch for starters, 15 inch for serious comfort, dual 10 inch drivers and ever onwards and upwards if you want to blow the living s*** out of the neighbourhood!!!

As the Americans say....'you can't beat cubes'....

A speaker with a 10 inch driver "designed with finesse" should be a interesting prospect.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Steve

Post by Steve »

Yep, lovely report on the Strads Terry. Would love to hear them myself. Although being as vast as they are, would never have been an option to the Amati Futura's since they need to reside in the living room...

Can't wait to hear those Elipsa Red's Si!!
Chord Electronics DAVE - Aesthetix Calypso - Pass Labs XA100.8 - Wilson Audio Alexia - Nordost Quattro Fil/SPM
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Video of beauty!!

http://2ndhandhifi.co.uk/product/sonus- ... dspeakers/

I don't know the shop, however I have heard good things mentioned about 2nd hand hifi on the WAM site.

Might be worthwhile heading over for a audition?
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Thanks Adrian, good find!

The more I read the more I realise the Elipsa SE (or Elipsa RED as it's sometimes called) is quite different to the original, with a different crossover and a replacement tweeter (the one from the Strads). Even harder to come by, though.

Given how everything sounds different in my room anyway, I've almost persuaded myself to take a risk and just sell them if they don't work out. It's become an itch I just need to scratch. Ridiculous, I know...

I'll keep you posted.