Demo booked, bring on the contenders...

Claus

Re: Demo booked, bring on the contenders...

Post by Claus »

Diapason wrote:
bod wrote:
Diapason wrote:Just pour some milk on a bowl of rice krispies and you're sorted.
I know where you live Simon :-~
You'll never take me alive.

Claus, do you get the impression that CD replay has made huge leaps forward in recent years? I don't, but I am happy to stand corrected. In any case, consider second-hand. Anyone got some dCS gear lying around?
No not really, but I would like the option of a decent USB input for future streaming (of high res etc.) I have no problem with second hand but as said above you can drown in the number of options. I am going to book a demo with Kronos as well unless I just go for the Stello on Ebay which seems very good value (thanks for the link). But it will be impossible to compare from one shop to another. So in the end you have to go with something that you think will work and that is practical.

It has to play well with my Nu-Vista M3 amp and my LFT-8 hybrid speakers...
cybot

Post by cybot »

Diapason wrote:Just pour some milk on a bowl of rice krispies and you're sorted.

Claus

Post by Claus »

Hmm... a somewhat disappointing trip to Cloney. They didn't really have a lot to show off and seemed reluctant to hook up the rDac in comparison to Cyrus CD6se. Anyways it only confirms the unfortunate awkward (yet polite) dealings I have had with them in the past. Noel thought I should come back in a week or 10 days when they get the new Audiolab 8200CD in the door. It looks like good value with lots of features and definitely seems to deserve a listen. The hunt continues.... :)
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Claus, I think you have a great chance tomorrow to check out a variety of digital front ends including JK's Hiface MK2. If you choose to go down this route and with your Financial Controller's green light you have plenty of top class modern Dac to choose from and Kronos won't let you leave empty-handed.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
tony

Post by tony »

I have experienced that a couple of times. You want to take a lot of time to try everything out but you feel rushed.
Where you in a dedicated listening room or on the ground floor?
I was always led to believe you could spend hours trying out stuff but with the exception of my first purchase there it never materialized.
On the cyrus cd6se if you were going to go for that type of kit the CD8SE would be the better bet as you can get a separate power supply
or else the cdxtse (transport only) + dac. I am kinda stuck with cyrus as I have an amp and 2 power supplies already so it made sense to stay. The cd8se is very good and currently cloneys have it for €1300. You would pick up one on ebay for approx €600-1000. I dont know how it compares to some of the more expensive kit discussed here.

Ken's suggestion is very much on the ball you will get to here a lot of good stuff tomorrow.

Another link if your budget can be doubled!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/dCS-VERDI-ENCORE- ... 5add1a6554

and in the same shop

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONIC-FRONTIERS-T ... 5adc6fcded

I know nothing about the sonic frontiers but ciaran has dcs.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
kronosav

Post by kronosav »

Claus wrote:Hmm... a somewhat disappointing trip to Cloney. They didn't really have a lot to show off and seemed reluctant to hook up the rDac in comparison to Cyrus CD6se. Anyways it only confirms the unfortunate awkward (yet polite) dealings I have had with them in the past. Noel thought I should come back in a week or 10 days when they get the new Audiolab 8200CD in the door. It looks like good value with lots of features and definitely seems to deserve a listen. The hunt continues.... :)
Claus, give us a ring sometime, we can talk you through exactly what we have in stock and can a demo for you any day or night at a time that suits you. Ask Ivor if you want an opinion on Kronos, we've dramatically changed over the last few years, in staff, brands and service......
Claus

Post by Claus »

Will do! Thanks for the offer! Is there a name I should ask for if I ring?
Cheers,
Claus
kronosav

Post by kronosav »

Either ask for David or Gary, they generally deal with most of the 2ch sales......

Cheers
Claus

Post by Claus »

This one looks very interesting if I did go down the streaming route. Seems like a very advanced DAC only being limited by not accepting I2S connection.

It also leaves room for modding (who said battery supply). :)

I can return for a full refund if I don't like it, but at 750 sterling obviously not cheap either.
I have one price on the Lector cdp 7, which seems very nice but no digital input of course....

The streaming route seems more and more attractive especially after chatting to people at Fran's house...
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

It's an interesting dac.....
Do or do not, there is no try