What music are you listening to currently?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: What music are you listening to currently?

Post by cybot »

No way!

That is uncanny but not surprising. I was kind of late getting into them especially from Poseidon onwards. Obviously everyone bought their Ist behemoth though it’s not my favourite of theirs. Having said that I don’t like picking out favourites as I see the whole discography as one entity/journey despite the totally advanced jazz leanings of Lizard tripping me up early on. Got rid of it immediately and the likes of the usual popular bands of the day returned me an to oasis of calm and familiarity. Eventually I got fed up of that and my KC journey started anew with used copies of Red and USA. That too suddenly ground to a halt for a time. Finally Poseidon landed on my lap one day and I was smitten. I still think it’s superior to ITCOTK. Then Lizard suddenly made sense. I lapped up the whole reissue program with the exception of the Discipline trio of albums with Adrian. After that Burning Shed suddenly appeared from nowhere and, well, I went totally bananas. Got the two Stephen Wilson remastered black box sets. Despite having most of them already. 12 Lps. Heaven. Very reasonably priced too. This was before Brexit. Finally got fed up not being able to dip my toes into the various massive CD box sets as I didn’t possess a CDP. That anomaly was soon addressed as the CD only release of In Search of Hades (Tangerine Dream) propelled me into the stratosphere of Richer Sounds! Bought four of them from Islands to Red. Wow! Too much though. Taught me an important lesson. After that I went for the likes of Power to Believe on vinyl and onwards which I absolutely loved. The above Covid related live one is my last KC. NO MORE MR. FRIPP 😂
JAW

Post by JAW »

I was listening to this a few days ago. I need to be in a certain mood to listen to KC, but when I'm in that mood there's nothing else will do.

"I was told that the Giles brothers were forming a new group and were looking for a singing organist. Since I was a guitarist who didn't sing I went along for the job."

https://www.loudersound.com/features/gi ... l-insanity
cybot

Post by cybot »

JAW wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:25 pm I was listening to this a few days ago. I need to be in a certain mood to listen to KC, but when I'm in that mood there's nothing else will do.

"I was told that the Giles brothers were forming a new group and were looking for a singing organist. Since I was a guitarist who didn't sing I went along for the job."

https://www.loudersound.com/features/gi ... l-insanity
Brilliant! Still haven’t gotten around to that fabled album. Haven’t seen that cover before though. Ah, wait a minute, I’m mixing it up with the McDonald and Giles Lp. Brilliant drummer though. Love the Fripp quote.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Started listening to this tonight. One of the last batch of Crimson Lps I bought. My God on 21st Century Schizoid Man I honestly thought my speaker cones were disintegrating! In a panic I played another Lp and it was fine. Read the rear sleeve notes and you’ll understand why. Fripp was most definitely in a sour mood. Far more guitar on this album than his usual wont. Anyway I have to say of all the KC live stuff I’ve heard this one stands out. Astonishing.

JAW

Post by JAW »

cybot wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:54 pm Started listening to this tonight. One of the last batch of Crimson Lps I bought. My God on 21st Century Schizoid Man I honestly thought my speaker cones were disintegrating! In a panic I played another Lp and it was fine. Read the rear sleeve notes and you’ll understand why. Fripp was most definitely in a sour mood. Far more guitar on this album than his usual wont. Anyway I have to say of all the KC live stuff I’ve heard this one stands out. Astonishing.

I had a loan of that album when I was in school and played it once on the cheap family stereo. The sound quality was so bad that it sounded like it was recorded on a dodgy portable cassette with a dirty head in the rain at the back of the crowd. I wonder if they've managed to tidy up the sound over the years?
cybot

Post by cybot »

If you’re a genuine audiophile then NO 😂

My vinyl is the remastered version and it sounds fine with the exception of the terrifying Schizoid beast.
Last edited by cybot on Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Just for fun 🤩

And, yes, I do actually have the album. On vinyl 🍳

cybot

Post by cybot »

More fun for Blues purists 😂

[/b]
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

I entered the King Crimson world with a compilation. It had most of Discipline songs in it and it was a revelation (growing up in the 80s I thought you needed a synth if you wanted interesting sounds in a song). Then I started to buy almost all their records and Fripp collaborations and side projects. Best live imho The Night Watch.
One day I would like to see a remastered version of The First Day, the brilliant Fripp/Sylvian collaboration. Great record.

Best
Max (spin the black circle)