Brexit

james

Re: Brexit

Post by james »

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2021/010 ... il-brexit/

"...
Purchases under €22 will not face additional charges, but anything over €22 will see the addition of an Irish VAT charge.

Goods valued at more than €150 will also be subject to customs duty. The amount to be charged will vary depending on the nature of the item.

Consumers are also being warned that only goods bought from the UK that are of UK origin will avoid tariffs under the Free Trade Agreement in place.

So, if goods sourced outside the EU are being sold by a British seller to an Irish consumer, tariffs and other charges can be applied.
..."
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
hudo

Post by hudo »

I am confused, are tarrifs same as customs duty, is that the same thing?
Is Uk speaker, for example Wharfedale, thats built in China, still UK speaker and goes under free trade agreement?

It would be uselful to see how much a speaker that costed 1000€ before brexit will cost now.
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > ATC SCM40
tony

Post by tony »

It is confusing. It appears to me that if you buy a set of speakers from the UK they should be zero vat rated as they are for export into the EU. You then have to pay the Irish Vat rate on the price you paid. I would want confirmation of that before buying anything to be 100% certain. There can/could be still admin charges applied by An post or courier for collecting the Irish vat. Also as stated above it looks like if you buy for instance Chinese speakers where all the assembly and parts come from outside of the UK then you will be hit with excise duties.

If what I am guessing above is correct it will impact tons of small UK online shops that resell lots of chinese imported goods. It will make the admin/customs work messy for UK shops.

All a PITA to regain control? I think it has to ultimately impede business's and my guess would be some EU online retailers will try and grab the business.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

The German company has no issue if I can organise a German address. Its purely a logistics issue for them, their courier route takes them through the UK and they are not willing to do it with mixed loads etc. I can understand that, but its going to be a major issue I reckon as many many items are used to make up mixed loads.

I bought some components this morning from Farnell, and on the items description for each one it says "last country of significant manufacture" - and then listing UK, or Austria etc. Each item had a tariff code. Maybe that was always there, or maybe I'm just noticing it now!
Do or do not, there is no try
james

Post by james »

https://www.theguardian.com/politic ... rom-uk

"...
Customers in Europe hit by post-Brexit charges when buying from UK

Shoppers tell of shock at unexpected bills for VAT or customs duty as some retailers stop shipping to continent

Many people may have been surprised because they believed the tariff-free trade deal negotiated between the UK and EU meant there would be no such extra charges.

Unfortunately, tariffs are not the same as customs duties. Customs duty is a charge that has to be paid on many goods imported into the EU from countries outside the European customs union – including Britain.
..."
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

Feck! Have we any idea how this affects NI ?

On another note does anyone know if all EU online purchases are covered by a 30 return period?
That may be the way for me to home trial D&D 8c.

.sjb
hudo

Post by hudo »

Looks like similar charges like when ordering from US, so ~30-40% on top of UK price without UK VAT.
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > ATC SCM40
james

Post by james »

I ordered records from Zivvi before Christmas and they are only arriving next week. Wonder what will happen. (It's the jazz starter pack for £20).
Wonder is Richer Sounds in Belfast still delivering to the Republic.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

If its less than 22e then I think you should escape VAT.

I ordered from Zavvi there (january sale), so we'll see how that goes. It hasn't shipped yet!
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

Sloop John B wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:38 pm Feck! Have we any idea how this affects NI ?

On another note does anyone know if all EU online purchases are covered by a 30 return period?
That may be the way for me to home trial D&D 8c.

.sjb
I thought you were buying the Sonus Fabers instead? :)
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.