A turntable, finally?

Diapason

Re: A turntable, finally?

Post by Diapason »

Wednesday might actually work! Let me get back to you (via PM).
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
cybot

Post by cybot »

Jesus talk about blinding you with science! In this case a little knowledge is a dangerous thing lol! But....I understand where Cyndale is springing (groan!) from. Though from here it looks like your calculation is correct (100 Hz vs 10Hz compute) and the AT should be ok in the Rega arm. Reading some of the experienced customer reviews tells me, without a doubt, that it would be right up your street especially in relation to IGD and sibilance. You're right too, that Elys output is gross! Also there are cheaper versions in that AT VM range. You could start with an elliptical profile and simply upgrade it when the need comes around again. It's up to you 🤓
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:07 pm Jesus talk about blinding you with science! In this case a little knowledge is a dangerous thing lol! But....I understand where Cyndale is springing (groan!) from. Though from here it looks like your calculation is correct (100 Hz vs 10Hz compute) and the AT should be ok in the Rega arm. Reading some of the experienced customer reviews tells me, without a doubt, that it would be right up your street especially in relation to IGD and sibilance. You're right too, that Elys output is gross! Also there are cheaper versions in that AT VM range. You could start with an elliptical profile and simply upgrade it when the need comes around again. It's up to you 🤓
Well said, I couldn't have put it better myself! If at all possible it would be great to hear another turntable in your system or yours in somebody else's. It could save a lot of unnecessary expense and disappointment!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Very kind of you to say so Cyndale 😌
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

After much reading and considering (and regular reference to Cyndale's calculator) I ordered an Audio Technica VM95ML which arrived today. Everything I read suggested this microline stylus should be a champ for eliminating IGD and sibilance, and it also has the advantage of being half my original budget. Fran's "cheap and cheerful" comment was definitely on my mind, and for once I decided I wouldn't just throw money at the problem until I knew what I was doing.

I've installed it here myself, having printed out an arc protractor (Stevenson alignment) to set overhang, and using that in conjunction with the relatively useless single point alignment card I got with the Rega TT. To be honest, I'm at the limit of my eyesight here. It's "grand" but probably not "spot on" yet. I have a loupe coming from Amazon during the week which should help, and I may buy a better protractor if I can find one I like as paper isn't really ideal. Oh, I didn't add any spacers to adjust the tonearm (and correspondingly VTA) as I'd read mixed views there. I'll leave it for a while and see how I get on.

So, how is it? Well, on VERY quick listening, my problem tracks aren't problems any more, and sound seems much more consistent across the side. I'm not immediately hearing any IGD. Sibilance has been eliminated (or at the very least reduced to the same level I can hear on digital recordings for one or two tracks, so completely manageable). In terms of overall sonics, things seem a little tight and closed in so far, but again the gods of the internet suggest this is normal and that it will take a bit of breaking in, so again we will wait and see. I'll give my ears a chance to get used to it if nothing else.

This particular cart allows for different styli to be swapped in, everything from a cheap conical to a shibata, so that might allow for some future experimentation and perhaps one the way to future plans. For now, though, we've made progress and that's good. More to follow!

Edit: had to change "styluses" to "styli" because nerd.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

my problem tracks aren't problems any more, and sound seems much more consistent across the side. I'm not immediately hearing any IGD. Sibilance has been eliminated (or at the very least reduced to the same level I can hear on digital recordings for one or two tracks, so completely manageable). In terms of overall sonics, things seem a little tight and closed in so far, but again the gods of the internet suggest this is normal and that it will take a bit of breaking in, so again we will wait and see. I'll give my ears a chance to get used to it if nothing else.
that's as good as it gets! Congratulations!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

What did I tell you! Enjoy 😊
Derek

Post by Derek »

Good man 🎼🥃🎶
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Nice result.

I can tell you that getting that last bit of alignment and arm height really is worth it, makes quite the difference. I think the VM95 is also the same as a clearaudio aurum except it has a wood body (I think, its been a while since I saw that).
Do or do not, there is no try
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Thanks Fran, I'm definitely going to put in some more effort on that score, as I'm pretty sure good setup could get a lot more out of this. It's unfortunate that I'm not allowed to go to Kildare...