A turntable, finally?

Ivor

Re: A turntable, finally?

Post by Ivor »

just posted by The Listening Suite - stylus shapes etc...

https://www.thelisteningsuite.ie/the-st ... 9ffd758e72
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Ha, just read that. Very informative and useful.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Cyndale wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:46 pm Don't just buy a cartridge on the strength of a good review. The effective mass of a tonearm and the compliance of a cartridge have to be matched. Low mass arm - high compliance cartridge and high mass arm - low compliance cartridge, is the rule of thumb.

Just when I think I'm starting to understand, along comes another wrinkle... ;-)
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

If you do make it here, I have a Denon DL110 and a vintage audio technica MM cart that we could mount and try out. At least then you could compare your Elys to other models and you'd have a frame of reference.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Diapason wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:58 pm
Cyndale wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:46 pm Don't just buy a cartridge on the strength of a good review. The effective mass of a tonearm and the compliance of a cartridge have to be matched. Low mass arm - high compliance cartridge and high mass arm - low compliance cartridge, is the rule of thumb.
I didn't mean to bombard you with technical issue, but it is actually very simple to figure out. Rather than bamboozle you with the specifications and how to figure it out, if you have a cartridge in mind I can tell you if it will be suitable for your Rega RB330 tonearm. It is hard to explain in words here but a doddle once you know what to do.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Thank you Fran, that would be really great to have the chance to compare a few things. That's one of the tricky things here, normally I just take stuff home and decide what works, but that's trickier with a cart!

Cyndale, I'm only joking really, and I'm glad that you told me! To be honest, I'm almost more comfortable with the technical stuff, once I know what I don't know. I'll read up on it now.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Diapason wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:46 pm Cyndale, I'm only joking really, and I'm glad that you told me! To be honest, I'm almost more comfortable with the technical stuff, once I know what I don't know. I'll read up on it now.
It is as simple as this... the ideal is that the resonance frequency of any arm/cartridge combination should be between 10-12Hz.

Find out the effective mass of the Rega RB330 (which is 11g) and then find out the weight of the cartridge and add the two. Then find out what the compliance of the cartridge is (which will be in the specification sheet).

Open this website and enter the relevant information then press compute... http://www.resfreq.com/resonancecalculator.html

Here is a screengrab of my cartridge specifications..

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Beautiful, thank you. In my former life I got a physics degree, this might be the first time I've thought about such things in years!!
james

Post by james »

By coincidence the naim forum has a discussion at the moment called .. "Vinyl sibilance - your advice"

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/vinyl ... vice/11707

[It does not really solve the problem either. Main suggestions are about vertical tracking angle and anti-skating settings].
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
james

Post by james »

Last edited by james on Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]