What are you listening to?

DaveF

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by DaveF »

Absolutely superb!
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:[
On balance I prefer the OAE recordings and that's high praise indeed.
I agree with Dave on this one Seán....the OAE are a wonderful outfit and always play to a consistently high standard.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ciaran wrote:Vivaldi Recorder concertos with Sebastien Marq and the chamber-sized Matheus Ensemble, director Jean-Christophe Spinosi:

Immediately noted!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

In Leipzig the performance of cantatas in church during Lent was not permitted so, obviously, during his time there JSB did not write any. So, this morning I have turned my attention to the first of the four smaller Masses that he wrote. One does not hear of them a lot but they are little gems containing beautiful and gentle music. They have a different “feel” about them to the Cantatas but are wonderful works in themselves.
This morning’s offering is the Mass in F BWV233 played and sung by Collegium Vocale, Ghent/Herreweghe....

Seán

Post by Seán »

On the last few Sunday mornings I have listened to the Weil/Tafelmusik recording of Haydn's Paukenmesse. It's simply gorgeous and Ana Monoyios.........ah what a beautiful voice!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:On the last few Sunday mornings I have listened to the Weil/Tafelmusik recording of Haydn's Paukenmesse. It's simply gorgeous and Ana Monoyios.........ah what a beautiful voice!
WOW....two big surprises in one Seán....
a) listening to and enjoying "Religious" music
b) complimenting a specimen of the human voice

Seriously though, it is a great disc. I also have the companion disc to that of Haydn's Heiligmesse which I also like.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Ciaran wrote:What a golden age we're in for Vivaldi!
Absolutely. As you mentioned a while back, there are a lot of very fine Vivaldi recordings available these days.

Ciaran wrote: Then this very good Weckmann CD from Cantus Cölln:

That one arrived for me in the post last week. Looking forward to it.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

I am sitting at home in front of the PC this morning struggling with a bad head cold and trying hard to recover enough to drag myself off this afternoon to the performance in St. Annes of JSB's The Musical Offering.
Just in case I do not make it I have just played the piece as performed by the Linde Consort (hopefully not by way of consolation).....

Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

DaveF wrote:
Ciaran wrote: Then this very good Weckmann CD from Cantus Cölln:

That one arrived for me in the post last week. Looking forward to it.
I noticed that. I hope you're enjoying Weckmann as much as I am!
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

fergus wrote:I am sitting at home in front of the PC this morning struggling with a bad head cold and trying hard to recover enough to drag myself off this afternoon to the performance in St. Annes of JSB's The Musical Offering.
No sneezing or coughing!