A turntable, finally?

hudo

Re: A turntable, finally?

Post by hudo »

Ivor wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:55 pm
hudo wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:24 am ...you shouldn't compare it with digital side of the system, vinyl will always be somewhat inferior (distortion, noise floor, stereo separation, etc)
Ah... no.
Just talking from personal experience. Have decent turntable (Music Hall 7.1, Goldring 2400, Arcam rPhono), but sound can't compare to 300€ DAC for most characteristics. But thats just my experience after owning several turntables and trying to get a good sound out of it...
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > ATC SCM40
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

hudo wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:13 pm
Ivor wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:55 pm
hudo wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:24 am ...you shouldn't compare it with digital side of the system, vinyl will always be somewhat inferior (distortion, noise floor, stereo separation, etc)
Ah... no.
Just talking from personal experience. Have decent turntable (Music Hall 7.1, Goldring 2400, Arcam rPhono), but sound can't compare to 300€ DAC for most characteristics. But thats just my experience after owning several turntables and trying to get a good sound out of it...
Well if it's just based on personal experience then maybe an assertion that "vinyl will always be somewhat inferior" is hard to justify?

I've never found digital playback to even come close to vinyl quality (from personal experience) and in recent years, and even more so in recent weeks, that view has been confirmed and compounded. I'm not going to get into a Bits Vs Vinyl discussion. This thread is about getting Simon addicted to records again.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Ivor wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:32 pm This thread is about getting Simon addicted to records again.
A few trips to the "Shed" would easily sort out his LP collection.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
hudo

Post by hudo »

Ivor wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:32 pm Well if it's just based on personal experience then maybe an assertion that "vinyl will always be somewhat inferior" is hard to justify?
Think I didn't express myself well there; proper analog setup can sound like the best digital or even better. Or to be more precise, with the best digital or analogue setup you shouldn't be even aware of the source, but you should hear perfectly reproduced life-like music:)
To put my experience and opinion into numbers: you have to pay at least a few thousand euro to get a decent analog setup. Could be easily wrong tho, but thats what I think now.

Even my analogue side of system is not close to digital, I still buy records and love to listen to them! Hopefully with time it will improve and match the digital side. And that should be enough to get even an entry-level system, that's why I totally support Diaphason idea of getting back into vinyl again :)

♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > ATC SCM40
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I know it seems ridiculous to say on a hifi forum, but I'm not so concerned about it sounding better or worse than digital, I just want it to sound good and enjoyable. Obviously if I get a player the record collection will be added to in short order, and I'm already thinking of some albums I can blag and some I will buy. What is this "Shed" that has been mentioned?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:20 am I know it seems ridiculous to say on a hifi forum, but I'm not so concerned about it sounding better or worse than digital, I just want it to sound good and enjoyable.
Nail. Head.

the "Shed" began as a facebook Vinyl buy/sell/swap page but has evolved into a physical location at the Men's Shed Rathangan Kildare. Great people involved, rare stuff, "common or garden" stuff, sensible prices and great company - it operates on a Sunday morning/afternoon and sometimes Saturdays too. I'll send you a link.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Thank you. My brother lives in Rathangan so now I've an extra excuse to visit.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Derek

Post by Derek »

You remember all the space your wonderful cd collection inhabited.
Records take up a wee bit more...
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That is an issue alright. The CDs continue to reside on the wall of what used to be the mancave, constantly taunting me...
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Well, that all happened sooner than I expected. I have none of my records here, the few I own are at my parents', but the Clearaudio sampler I bought along with the TT sounds fab. Pretty pleased tbh. I feel like I might need to buy some Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac to christen it properly.
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg (76.18 KiB) Viewed 730 times