Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Ivor

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Ivor »

I feel a Louis day coming on here too...
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
mcq

Post by mcq »

I don’t believe Louis Armstrong ever surpassed his Hot Fives and Hot Sevens recordings from the 1920s. A cornerstone of any jazz collection and, if I could take a single Louis recording with me to my desert island, it would have to be the immortal Potato Head Blues. These recordings - as well as those by Jelly Roll Morton - are the bedrock upon which jazz was built.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
mcq

Post by mcq »

Listening tonight to Brad Mehldau’s beautiful 4-CD set of live solo recordings entitled 10 Years Solo Live. It is an absolute delight from beginning to end, showcasing his creative invention as well as his tender lyricism , and an extraordinary exhibition of his improvisation skills. It is notable perhaps for the choice of repertoire which is equally divided between the Classic American Songbook (Rodgers & Hammerstein, Harold Arlen, Jerome Kern, Loewe & Lerner) and the Modern British/American Songbook (Jeff Buckley, Lennon/McCartney, Radiohead, Nirvana, Massive Attack, Sufjan Stevens, The Verve, Pink Floyd , The Beach Boys) but this cross-generational interest in repertoire is simply reflective of a man born in 1970 and who is not deaf to music of the last 50-odd years. Simply put, this box set is an an absolute treat and a genuine pleasure to savour at length. Very highly recommended.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
markof

Post by markof »

cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I prefer black vinyl but this reissue has the most wonderful sound quality. Just stunning. It's about €18.99 (got mine from Spindizzy) and is a huge bargain.
Billie H (640 x 640).jpg
Billie H (640 x 640).jpg (70 KiB) Viewed 942 times
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
markof

Post by markof »

Seán

Post by Seán »

mcq wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:59 pm I don’t believe Louis Armstrong ever surpassed his Hot Fives and Hot Sevens recordings from the 1920s.
I couldn't agree more.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler