Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:02 pm
cybot wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:42 pm This is for you Shane 🎸

Vinyl only simply because it's the only way....

Took me ages to figure out the sleeves, I was confused because I thought the vinyl boxset was an 8LP boxset but the image is showing five. Then I realised you had posted the CD version. Duh!

I did that on purpose ha ha!
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:29 pm
cybot wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:42 pm This is for you Shane 🎸

Vinyl only simply because it's the only way....

Ah Thanks Dermot, the 8LP set came home with me earlier today! :-)
Good man Shane! At least you know it makes sense :)

Hope that Gary Moore set is a good one too.
tweber

Post by tweber »

Rediscovering some oldish stuff in my collection, both brilliant imho
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Just bought Gary Moore Live in London double LP on blue vinyl. While the sound quality is variable his playing is up to his usual standard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MV5hUqSnNw
Last edited by Cyndale on Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Gotta keep that flame alive 🎸
cybot

Post by cybot »

Here's another flame that most definitely needs to be kept burning.....

Rory Gallagher, Check Shirt Wizard – Live In ’77. Album Review.
Liverpool Sound and Vision Rating * * * * *

A Calling Card from the past, the unexpected reminder of how your first introduction went and the abiding memories that stir, that reason, that plot with generous heart to return the smile of chance encounter or inspired reunion to your face; such is the power of music, of art overall, that we forget just how important such experiences are.

Selected from a series of gigs that accompanied the 1976 studio album release, Calling Card, Check Shirt Wizard – Live In ’77 is an album of understated pomp, unknowingly regal and simmering, silent panache that arguably has captured the great man at his most elegant and commercial best.

The virtuoso who stands in the temples of the unreservedly intense and hauntingly serene will always find themselves in exulted company, and yet the credit placed at the door of Rory Gallagher perhaps, like Peter Frampton and Steve Rothery, does not quite seize the point of their prolific and indeed sensual guitar work. Yet as the listener steps into the sound laid down at the door of the four venues to which the cuts and mystery appear, The Brighton Dome, Sheffield City Hall, The Hammersmith Odeon and Newcastle City Hall, they can, regardless if they are long-term aficionado or curious dipper into the Blues realm, piece together the puzzle and enigma that comes from the very essence of one of Ireland’s most enduring, and endearing, figures.

Time can either extend a person’s greatness, or it can diminish the love that was once held in abundance, regret of the shadows falling over the heroic scales reached, not out of spite, but realism, because the need for the leading light is an ever-consuming battle that is hardly ever truly won.

However, and with sincere illumination, songs such as Moonchild, Secret Agent, A Million Miles Away, Out On The Western Plain, Walk On Hot Coals, Too Much Alcohol, Souped-Up Ford and the finale of Country Mile, all give that extra, upbeat, and tantalising thrill that comes with meeting a stranger for the first time, but then understanding you have known them all your life.

The force of exuberant Blues is not to be dismissed, and Check Shirt Wizard-Live In ’77 is a piecing together and beautifully joined reminder of just what lay under that check shirt, what colossal music inspired brain, with all its trappings and excess captured for all time in amber, truly brought to the live stage in which he was the gifted son of Blues, in which the Wizard held the assembled court spellbound.

A stunning illustration of Rory Gallagher in his natural environment, a distinctive and unbound pleasure that none surely would have known was coming.

https://youtu.be/-dewvucQsr4

https://youtu.be/WoW--ze-MRM
tweber

Post by tweber »

Agreed 100%
Been away for the last few days but will be playing this at the weekend. Thanks to my local music store Musiczone.ie, I got a limited print by the artist from the original lp as well though :-)
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:05 pm
Agreed 100%
Been away for the last few days but will be playing this at the weekend. Thanks to my local music store Musiczone.ie, I got a limited print by the artist from the original lp as well though :-)
You definitely deserved that print. Aren't you their best customer :)

Let me know how you get on with it. I'll probably wait until next time I'm in Dublin rather than do the usual online thing. That way at least I'll have something to look forward to :)
tweber

Post by tweber »

cybot wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:38 am
tweber wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:05 pm
Agreed 100%

Let me know how you get on with it. I'll probably wait until next time I'm in Dublin rather than do the usual online thing. That way at least I'll have something to look forward to :)
Enjoying it so far Dermot. Mostly Calling Card material as that is what he was touring at the time - probably doesn't eclipse Irish Tour '74 but what does? Nice acoustic interlude in the middle. Nice versions of A million miles away and Walk on Hot Coals too.
This self isolation thing is letting me enjoy some recent purchases at least ;-)
Stay safe everyone!
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:14 pm
cybot wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:38 am
tweber wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:05 pm Agreed 100%

Enjoying it so far Dermot. Mostly Calling Card material as that is what he was touring at the time - probably doesn't eclipse Irish Tour '74 but what does? Nice acoustic interlude in the middle. Nice versions of A million miles away and Walk on Hot Coals too.
This self isolation thing is letting me enjoy some recent purchases at least ;-)
Stay safe everyone!
Thanks for the review Shane. You stay safe too.....