Advice on 43" TV anyone?

Adrian

Re: Advice on 43" TV anyone?

Post by Adrian »

Make sure you get the exact model number of the TV.

Google for any problems / issues of that exact model number.

About 5 years ago I bought a 49" Sony smart TV from a large dept store chain.

Beautiful screen, lovely TV but I could not get it to record, and after about 10 minutes of usage... it responded to the remote control very very slowly.

Connected the TV by cable to the WiFi router, updated the OS. Still no success, unable to record and TV becomes unresponsive to the remote.

Went online and lo & behold there was a thread on this exact model on the Sony Community Forum website. Thread was about 13 pages long, people giving out hell and very angry.

Long story short.... Sony made the TV but the Operating system was made by somebody else, and it was a bit of a rush job. The system was not ready, and Sony admitted the TV had major issues. Updates were being made on a region by region (worldwide) basis, with the UK / Ireland not due to be fixed for another 4 months!! Even still this remote repair schedule was running months behind.

I printed the www thread, phoned HN, they had a 14 day return to shop policy if one was unhappy, no quibble etc etc.

So I boxed up the TV, loaded into the car, returned the set with the www print out of the trouble this particular model gave and got reimbursed on my CC.

It was a big surprise, as I thought Sony were long past selling things which were not ready to be sold. Had no issues with the shop, but it was still a bad experience, humping big boxes into the car, unloading, unboxing, presenting to the wife at just how great I am at getting a super TV at such a bargain price, then looking stupid / embarrassed as the TV won't do the most basic thing she wants i.e. record, and then going online trying to fault find, then realising it's a dud, this model is never going to work properly, and then boxing back up, into the car and back to the shop.

What a pain!!

If you are going for a Sony, you should be able to check that precise model number on the Sony community forum, just to see if there is any negative feedback. Sure... you will always get one or two posts from those who will never be happy, but if there is pages and pages of negative feedback then best to avoid that particular model.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Derek

Post by Derek »

Thanks Adrian, that’s good advice I’ll follow up.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I've no skin in the game, but I've had 2 friends have their (expensive) Sony TVs fail completely just outside of warranty. As I say, horror stories in every direction!

Richer Sounds (where I got mine) often offer a 5 year warranty, and that was a big factor in my decision.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Derek wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:13 pm Thanks Cyndale, not a recommendation from the nurses then. I’m thinking it’s better to have than need when 4K hits. But then again with the speed of change, the powers that be might just skip to whatever’s next
Remember when the manufacturers started 'hyping' HD with their HD Ready TVs (720p) and everybody bought into it. Then Full HD arrived (1080p) a couple of years later and finally 3D TVs with nothing being broadcast or really available on DVD at the time. Where is 3D now? In the rubbish skip. There are even 8K TVs available. Where is it all going to end. The manufacturers get a sniff of 'something' new and they start touting it way before it is actually available. Just saying!
Derek

Post by Derek »

True enough, I see they’re selling 2.1 HDMI cables for 8k viewing.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

If its any help Derek I have 3 Sony's and all trouble free.
The oldest at 11 years which is a KDL-46X3500 i bought new after a lot of research, it is my main TV that is used on my AV computer so doubles as PC monitor and gets at least 6 hours to 12 hours of on-time every day and is great for movies.

The bright colours mentioned are normally a demo setting on Sony's and you can adjust it down to suit yourself.

I will be looking at changing myself in a year or two and will be looking at either Sony or Samsung.
Will not go for the 8k as based on research it does not offer any benefit to TVs unless you are going mega size.

Post by Derek »

Thanks Pearse, My current Samsung is 11 years and working well and hasn’t as much as hiccuped in that time. So I intend to buy to cover another decade. (I hope).
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

It might seem overkill (maybe not!) but this would side step any sound issues.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Stere ... 140&sr=8-3
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Derek

Post by Derek »

I hadn’t really explored the whole 5.1 cinema sound. Maybe it’s time I did.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Ivor wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:26 pm It might seem overkill (maybe not!) but this would side step any sound issues.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Stere ... 140&sr=8-3
Been running an older version of that same Logitech system off my main Sony TV through my AV PC for more years than i can remember now and it is great for movies and music listening at a very good price. The bass unit is bigger than you would think and really delivers.