Sound of my set-up

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Georgi

Re: Sound of my set-up

Post by Georgi »

If I may ask, who is playing the track from the audio clip?

Thanks
cybot

Post by cybot »

sumotan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:15 pm Creating space comes from the control of energy part & also the type of caps used & it's value. Go too low it will sound loose & blur, go too high it will sound too tight & lifeless. As for transparency that comes from type of caps used so one has to know the sonic signature of the caps. I do not use only 1 type or brand of caps on my build. At anytime you'll see at least 6 different brands of caps on my build. It's a very time consuming process as I only tweak 1 spot at a time & there's lots of wastage especially caps where I'll try different types & values but still it's so much cheaper then buying branded commercial products. lol
Thanks for all your helpful comments. I'm learning more than I thought I would. I remember saying to an electronic technician one time that I'd love to learn more about electronics so I could tweak to my heart's content. His answer? Don't go there if you want to stay sane lol!
Now I'm getting an inkling why. Anyway as long as you enjoy and you're competent at what you do why not? After all demoing commercial products means you're listening to the designer's version of events and on and on, on that massive merry go round. Which, of course, can also drive you to insanity levels ;) But, I'm rather proud to say, I did actually dip my hands, so to speak, into the diy arena one time, where I spent two whole weeks assembling/soldering a two box three valve valve phono unit from a kit. It was really brilliant fun and so educational. Unfortunately when I demoed it against my own in-built Croft phono stage, the Croft won easily enough. Now if I had have been even more conversant with electronics I would have known how to tweak the various components to beat the Croft. Ah well at least its presence in the house is a nice reminder that I got at least one foot on the electronics ladder :)
sumotan

Post by sumotan »

Hi Cybot

It's played by Gene Harris & Ray Brown Trio.
Thanks for taking the interest in my wacko way of thinking & approach to audio diy.
Reality of it is by way of analysis & trying, it also helps me in applying the same principals towards my daily life & work. Yes many will have a hard time accepting my philosophy but ???

Cheers
sumotan

Post by sumotan »

Btw Cybot are you English ? Croft is a cottage industry audio brand. I recall their stuff is similar to NVA approach with point to point wiring & simplicity.

Cheers
sumotan

Post by sumotan »

V2 of same clip. Thks for your feedback Cybot. Reduce recording colume & think it sounds better.

cybot

Post by cybot »

sumotan wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:16 am Hi Cybot

It's played by Gene Harris & Ray Brown Trio.
Thanks for taking the interest in my wacko way of thinking & approach to audio diy.
Reality of it is by way of analysis & trying, it also helps me in applying the same principals towards my daily life & work. Yes many will have a hard time accepting my philosophy but ???

Cheers
No bother! Don't worry there's a whole cave of equally wacko people on this forum (WHERE ARE YOU???????).
cybot

Post by cybot »

sumotan wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:26 am Btw Cybot are you English ? Croft is a cottage industry audio brand. I recall their stuff is similar to NVA approach with point to point wiring & simplicity.

Cheers
Aye, you're right about Croft. Simplicity is THE key :)

I'm Irish like a lot of us here. Notoriously shy are we 🤓 ........
cybot

Post by cybot »

sumotan wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:43 am V2 of same clip. Thks for your feedback Cybot. Reduce recording colume & think it sounds better.

Yes, a little better but......it's a frustrating listen due to the vagaries of unfamiliarity, recording medium and the actual live recording on the album itself.

Anyway it's a terrific piece of music which I have to check out. You obviously like your vintage Jazz :)

Again what's your take on the sonics in your own listening environment? In other words which areas would you like to improve on?
sumotan

Post by sumotan »

Not many know about Croft stuff so now you know Im an old fart . Lol. Well my life is such it has taken me to many places. Now Im living on an island call Batam, it's part of Indonesia but it's only an hours ferry ride to Singapore. Only had time to restart audio hobby 4 yrs ago.

Cheers
sumotan

Post by sumotan »

For this set up I'm already at the end of my journey. Next move is to package them up nicely & move on to my next project back to tube stuff which was where I learned diy.

Cheers