Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
markof

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

I absolutely love Marc Johnson's Bass Desires, here is a track called Samurai Hee Haw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ML3Pj5AijY
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Quite well produced too... on vinyl

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

and

Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:17 am Image

and

Oh yes. Particularly #2

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

This has incredible sound quality, dynamic as hell. Pretty damn good for 1959

Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:37 pm This has incredible sound quality, dynamic as hell.
That was the peak of music recording, vast amounts of money spent on studios and good producers as the labels all tried to oudo each other.

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

It caught me by surprise when I stuck it on. There is a fair bit of percussion on it - but hey manage somehow to catch the range of it. Interestingly, his next release after this was that fantastic "back to back" album with Johnny Hodges. Another cracker.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:07 pm It caught me by surprise when I stuck it on. There is a fair bit of percussion on it - but hey manage somehow to catch the range of it. Interestingly, his next release after this was that fantastic "back to back" album with Johnny Hodges. Another cracker.
"Back to Back" is stunning.

Did I ever bore you with the story how Bing Crosby, and in particular his love of golf, is responsible for the quality of equipment and recording standards in teh late 40s early 50s? Basically Bing didn't want to "waste" time doing live radio shows when he could out on the fairways.. so he researched how he could record his shows.. turns out the recorded ones were better quality than the live ones! And so... That was the dawn of serious tape recording and editing. Verve, Blue Note, Decca, Deutsche Grammophon, Columbia all followed.

https://theaudiophileman.com/bing-crosb ... evolution/