Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
mcq

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by mcq »

It's a tragedy that many people felt the same way about Ackles' music - dropped by his record company in 1974 after releasing his fourth album and forgotten by many people until the Nineties when his albums started to appear on CD. A sad story - I also heard that he was in a car crash in 1981 (his car was hit by a drunken driver) that severed most of the nerves in his left arm (and left him with a steel hip) which left him in considerable pain for the rest of his life. He never stopped playing piano, despite the agonising pain it cost him. Tragic, but the music endures.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote:It's a tragedy that many people felt the same way about Ackles' music - dropped by his record company in 1974 after releasing his fourth album and forgotten by many people until the Nineties when his albums started to appear on CD. A sad story - I also heard that he was in a car crash in 1981 (his car was hit by a drunken driver) that severed most of the nerves in his left arm (and left him with a steel hip) which left him in considerable pain for the rest of his life. He never stopped playing piano, despite the agonising pain it cost him. Tragic, but the music endures.

Indeed it does....for those who are prepared to listen.
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
JAW

Post by JAW »

fergus wrote:Image
I have that on a cheap Polydor re release. I always liked it, especially "It's Alright Ma, It's Only Witchcraft" and the emptiness of "One Sure Thing." Good call Fergus, I must dig it out.
However, for the moment, this is taking me back to time when double albums were 'way beyond my measly teenage means.

cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:Image
Believe it or not that's probably the first time I've seen that cover!! I take it it's a real early Fairport album, their first, perhaps?
cybot

Post by cybot »

JAW wrote:

However, for the moment, this is taking me back to time when double albums were 'way beyond my measly teenage means.

Nice sentiments and oh, so true :-) I'll see if I can dig out the original cover though much as I admire the remastered version.
cybot

Post by cybot »

I'm happy now :-)

JAW

Post by JAW »

Cold hearted orb that rules the night,removes the colours from our sight. Red is grey and yellow white, but we decide which is right. And which is an illusion.

Is this a new game? That's the Moody Blues, isn't it? Just before Nights in white Satin. Late Lament??????
cybot

Post by cybot »

JAW wrote:Cold hearted orb that rules the night,removes the colours from our sight. Red is grey and yellow white, but we decide which is right. And which is an illusion.

Is this a new game? That's the Moody Blues, isn't it? Just before Nights in white Satin. Late Lament??????
I just knew you'd ask the question Johnny :-))) I was just feeling a wee bit nostalgic as we sometimes do around this time of the year and especially so when confined to the old bed. Anyway when that chap sang Nights in White Satin on you know what, I suddenly remembered the first time I heard the Moodies version and, well you know the way you feel when you get pulled back to a time that you thought was long forgotten! So I put in that little snippet to, sort of, mark the moment...hopefully there will be more moments like this to remind me where I've come from :-) and I do love to hear the speaking voice on a hi-fi system....

BTW the first half of Late Lament is on side one of the original album near the beginning with the second half preceding Nights on side two. However on the Best Of double Lp it's edited to bookend Nights in a most beautiful way...except the verses are reversed :-)
cybot

Post by cybot »

Can't get over how beautiful this still sounds...

Tarentel - The Order of Things - 2001

Jefre Cantu-Ledesma, guitar, keyboards; Danny Grodinski, guitar, keyboards; Jonathan Hughes, drums, percussion, keyboards; Kenseth Thibideau, bass, guitar, keyboards; Jeffrey Rosenberg, laptop; with Windy Allen, vocals, piano

Tracklist:
1.  Adonai — 11:00
2.  Popol Vuh — 6:46
3.  [untitled] — 1:17
4.  Ghosty Head — 12:18
5.  Death in the Mind of the Living — 13:57
6.  Pneuma — 2:35
7.  Blessed|Cursed — 8:28

total time 56:24

Tired of being compared to Mogwai and Godspeed You Black Emperor!, like every other post-rock band on the planet, Tarentel went and changed their sound for their second full-length album, The Order of Things. This album is the closest to pure drone that Tarentel has yet come, lacking the linear motion and massive volume levels that other post-rock bands reach. The closest comparison in my experience, perhaps, is Do Make Say Think at their most minimalistic.
The Order of Things can basically be thought of as two separate albums. The remarkable first half, with three outstanding compositions, has some relation to the band's earlier work; in particular, "Adonai" resembles a more heavily-produced version of something that could easily have appeared on From Bone to Satellite. "Adonai" is built around a simple, repetitive guitar melody, but one that is embellished early on by soft horns, and later by found sound and electronics; towards the end the guitar melody disappears altogether in favor of a haunting sound collage. This is followed by "Popol Vuh," definitely the most accessible (and concise!) song that Tarentel has yet composed, and one that will appeal to those usually bored by post-rock's minimalism and repetition. The song opens with grandly cinematic strings, coming to an exciting climax after two and a half minutes and giving way to the most aggressive and obviously rock bassline that Tarentel has ever written. From there the listener is treated to the usual terrific-yet-simple melodies, augmented by a full, rich production that reminds of (forgive the comparison) Mogwai circa Rock Action.

The final remarkable piece on the first half of this album is "Ghosty Head," a Rickie Lee Jones cover that introduces us to Tarentel's considerably more minimal, ambient side. The song consists entirely of delicately plodding piano, a darkly static and imposing drone, and wispy female vocals. Yes, vocals — guest Windy Allen's voice is more than up to the task of singing long, drawn-out lines that bring out a tangible sense of loneliness. This piece is a bit of a diversion for Tarentel, as they have not done anything like this before nor since, but I for one am glad they made the side trek.

Unfortunately, after this frankly amazing first half, which in fact is probably better than any comparable segment of From Bone to Satellite, Tarentel crash-lands into the world of pure drone, and not to particularly good effect. Where the band's strengths lie, perhaps, is in their ability to combine minimalistic melody with even more minimalistic sound collage and drone and get a stunningly compelling whole out of a few very simple elements. When they attempt, as on "Death in the Mind of the Living" and "Blessed|Cursed," to abandon most of those elements in favor of just sound collage and drone, the effect is more soporific than compelling. We're used to Tarentel songs going nowhere, or maybe going somewhere but very, very slowly; so we're used to the destination not being the point. However, when it's all about the journey, it would be nice if there were a journey at all; as it turns out, the journey stops with "Ghosty Head." Which doesn't take anything away from the remarkable first half of the album, but does make the second half seem all that much more of a letdown.

review by Brandon Wu