New Amp: Leema Acoustics Tucana II

sdiesel77

New Amp: Leema Acoustics Tucana II

Post by sdiesel77 »

Hi All,
I have been using the same amp for the past 11years, a Double Mono KT88 55w valve amp. Although I really like this amp and although it was fully refurbished and improved early this year I felt that I could do with a more "user friendly" amplifier with a remote.

I have been looking for many months at what could be the next one taking in consideration that I wouldn't like to downgrade the sound quality. I tried some solid state amplifiers over the past months but couldn't find one to please me enough.

Finally last week, after reading multiple positive reviews and feedback on the web, I decided to get myself a second hand amp online, without even listening to it... I know that's probably very stupid (time will tell...)

So today I should receive a Leema Acoustics Tucana II and will be able to compare it with my tube amp :)
Attachments
Leema Tucana 2.jpg
Leema Tucana 2.jpg (126.55 KiB) Viewed 618 times
Tubes & Vinyls are making life brighter..
Diapason

Re: New Amp: Leema Acoustics Tucana II

Post by Diapason »

Always a ballsy move buying something online completely unheard, but sure you can't beat a bit of excitement! Enjoy.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I'm looking forward to your impressions of valve Vs solid state in your system. I've bought "blind" too (deaf?) but knew the source and was never disappointed. Best of luck with it, keep us posted!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

Starting listening session [emoji41]Image
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

So... here is the first impression after only couple of hours of listening.

Well, the least I can say is that the Tucana II and my KT88 Valve amps are TOTALLY different in terms of sound.
They have a really different way to deliver the music, at this stage I wouldn't say that one is better than the other.

So far what I noticed when comparing the two amps:

Leema Tucana II:
Very detailed and transparent sound. It feels like the music has been dissected with all instruments, voices, then cleaned and put back together. Really!
The treble & medium are full of details without being harsh or analytical. The bass are very well handled with plenty of "meat" around them (definitely no lack of bass).
This amp is SUPER powerful, really plenty of power in stock, I probably will use maximum 1/10th of his volume capability.
Besides, this is an heavy amp, almost 20kg, built like a tank. No need for the amp to warm up to get the best of it.

Yaqin MC100B (fully customised):
Less power but still Really powerful for a valve amp (55w). Extremely lively and warm sound. Large soundstage.
The voices seem to be warmer, with more presence maybe more real. The amp needs however at least 10min warm up to sound its best.
nb: this amp is not a standard Yaqin MC100B, it's been completely rebuilt/customised using the MC100B as a starting point. The stock sound was FAR from today's quality.

So to conclude this first listening session, do I prefer the Leema to the Yaqin amp: it's a bit too early to say. I am used to the warm valve sound for the last 10years so I guess I need more hours of listening to make up my mind.
Last edited by sdiesel77 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

sdiesel77 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:30 pm
So to conclude this first listening session, do I prefer the Leema to the Yaqin amp: it's a bit too early to say. I am used to the warm valve sound for the last 10years so I guess I need more hours of listening to make up my mind.
it's really only in a few weeks or months when you put back the Yaqin that you'll know what you gained, or indeed lost.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

Quick update: will probably put the Leema Acoustic amp for sale soon. If interested pls send me a PM