Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Sligolad

Re: Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Post by Sligolad »

There is probably firmware that allows various cards and formats.
Looks like the original card Nige found works fine with several SLC cards but not 64Gb cards and the same chip in the latest boxed player allows 64GB cards but is very selective with card types.

For high resolution files both old and new cards play high resolution for me but the files have to be WAV.
Another watch out is having any detailed Tags with say album art which causes loud white noise between tracks.
I open the tracks making sure Read Only is disabled and remove the ID Tag data in dbpoweramp and all is good.

Bought an Ez Share Micro SD wifi SD adaptor card and it plays back fine off micro SD 8gb SLC cards that i have.
I can see the files fine on my laptop but the wireless view on the web browser does not allow me to see or transfer audio files.
If we could hack the software on one of these cards like was suggested already then just have an 8gb SLC card on there and write and delete files by wireless as and when needed.

Wish I had the know how to do this but way out of my league.

Post by jkeny »

Fran wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:42 pm Ah, I don' think they're unreliable as such, just fussy. So if this was a commercial product, you'd have to supply with a card that you know works, or be able to provide some.

It is a pain though to invest in the SLC card and it not work..... would love to know the reason why. My new one still doesn't play hi res files.
In a way we are saying much the same thing although "fussy" might be too mild a description & "unreliable" too strong.

It may be a software issue or the read mode that is being used on the SD card but whatever it is, it is on the edge of usable

If it only affected high-res file reading, I wouldn't be too concerned as 16/44 sounds so good.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Sligolad wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:39 pm There is probably firmware that allows various cards and formats.
Looks like the original card Nige found works fine with several SLC cards but not 64Gb cards and the same chip in the latest boxed player allows 64GB cards but is very selective with card types.
Yea, would be good to get to the bottom of this variability - is it the SD Card, is it the SD player, what exact aspect is the cause?
For high resolution files both old and new cards play high resolution for me but the files have to be WAV.
Another watch out is having any detailed Tags with say album art which causes loud white noise between tracks.
I open the tracks making sure Read Only is disabled and remove the ID Tag data in dbpoweramp and all is good.
Yea, that seems to be the work around with WAV files
Bought an Ez Share Micro SD wifi SD adaptor card and it plays back fine off micro SD 8gb SLC cards that i have.
I can see the files fine on my laptop but the wireless view on the web browser does not allow me to see or transfer audio files.
If we could hack the software on one of these cards like was suggested already then just have an 8gb SLC card on there and write and delete files by wireless as and when needed.

Wish I had the know how to do this but way out of my league.
I think there is a detailed hack on-line - I'll have alook
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

This site https://n-o-d-e.net/beacon.html
says the "
Step 1. The software on the access point is pretty finnicky, so you have to first format the micro SD card you're going to use in a digital camera.

Step 2. Connect the sd card to a USB adapter and plug it into your computer. This should automatically power up the wifi access point.
www.Ciunas.biz
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

jkeny wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:56 pm This site https://n-o-d-e.net/beacon.html
says the "
Step 1. The software on the access point is pretty finnicky, so you have to first format the micro SD card you're going to use in a digital camera.

Step 2. Connect the sd card to a USB adapter and plug it into your computer. This should automatically power up the wifi access point.
I had managed to get through all steps 1 to 6 already on my laptop which has an SD slot but the problem as stated on the site is:
"I haven't (yet) found a way to upload files directly to the beacon, but I have a feeling some clever person might be able to figure out how to unlock the firmware somehow and enable it. This could also be seen as a security feature too though, so whatever."

I have seen where other cards had been hacked into but I have not found anything for this card yet.
The link that Randy provided on the other thread was good but the hacks were on SD Wifi cards like Flashair and Transcend.
If we could find one for these micro SD adaptor cards it would be great, hope Randy has some success in this.

Post by Sligolad »

There is a PQI Air Card in Randys link with microsd adaptor that seems to have some work carried out on it so i might see if i can get one of those. Will post on the other thread if i discover anything.

Post by randytsuch »

The PQI Air was the only adapter card I could find that's been hacked to get access to.

I bought one from ebay in Japan, its in the mail now.
The ez share is easier to find, but I wasn't able to find instructions to hack into one of them.

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
gstew

Post by gstew »

All,

I'm looking to buy an SLC card to compare to the $$$$ Sony and the regular ones I have. From browsing the thread, what I think I need to get is the Panasonic Industrial SLC, which I see for 8Gb @ $133 USD. I also see a some labeled 'PE Consumer Plus SLC-Lite' (16Gb $55) and 'C+ SLC-Lite' (32Gb $110), more Gb/$.

@Randytsuch & others, still watching the WiFi interface development with interest.

@microzyma, I see you have your SDTrans384 for sale on DIYAudio... does this mean you compared and prefer the Chinese one? If so, that info will move up my priority for working on the ones I have here.

TIA all!

Greg in Mississippi
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

I modded my sd player over the weekend, and having it playing music now.

Details here on what I did.
https://sites.google.com/view/randy-aud ... /sd-player

Haven't listened very much yet, but I'm pretty impressed with what I've heard so far.

May be my imagination, but seems quieter, like there is less hf noise in the system with this setup.

For the price, and the relative ease to build this (compared to an audio PC), really seems like this is the future.

Haven't had much luck with the wifi sd card though :(
I will say, with an IR remote (had one from a different sd card player), UI is not too bad out of the box.

If I had to push buttons, I'd be more motivated to do something more.

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

randytsuch wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:05 pm I modded my sd player over the weekend, and having it playing music now.

Details here on what I did.
https://sites.google.com/view/randy-aud ... /sd-player

Haven't listened very much yet, but I'm pretty impressed with what I've heard so far.

May be my imagination, but seems quieter, like there is less hf noise in the system with this setup.

For the price, and the relative ease to build this (compared to an audio PC), really seems like this is the future.

Haven't had much luck with the wifi sd card though :(
I will say, with an IR remote (had one from a different sd card player), UI is not too bad out of the box.

If I had to push buttons, I'd be more motivated to do something more.

Randy
must give a blog/webpage a go... some of these days......
has to be a great way of having a finalised record of finished experiments

i think there was an improvement taking the ams117 off, or bypassed
maybe just taking it off board will do the same ?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's