Soekris Dam Dac

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: Soekris Dam Dac

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:21 pm if i remember right it uses mosfets and ref voltage and a single ps
kinda charges like a voltage divider would
Any, circuit diagram?

It's OK, I got it
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

must be on my other computer, think it was slightly different to that hackaday circuit though
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

John
Yeah, that hackaday was where I copied the circuit from

Here is my ltspice circuit I used for the sim.

Basically you stack the regs on top of each other, so you don't need separate ps taps like Nige did for his amp.
Adjust R1 for current you need, and maybe change Q3 and Q4 to larger devices.
Attachments
bat charger schem.PNG
bat charger schem.PNG (99.01 KiB) Viewed 994 times
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

The charts here:

https://hackaday.io/project/9072-open-a ... simulation

indicate charging current of 100mA.

Below he mentions charging current of 1A. If you plan bypass the cell and maintain the 1A current I say you definitely need a bigger transistor and some heat sinking.
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

The design as shown was made for 200ma.

Should be enough for any dac. The transistors I used are rated for 500ma if I remember correctly, and the power supply that provided the raw power was probably less than that, so for my purposes 200ma was fine.

Maybe if you were powering an amp you would need more current, but for my purposes this is fine.
And since I have the batteries, they take care of any instantaneous demands over 200ma. As long as the average current draw for whatever you are powering is less than 200ma, this should work fine.

Note that his R1 is a smaller value than what I used. This resistor sets the current limit for the circuit.

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Thanks Randy - I presume you still need a relay/switch between each battery & it's charger to isolate it or is there very little current leakage draining the batteries?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

I put a switch in, otherwise the batteries will drain.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

For single LiFePo4 battery you can use charger boards based on TP5000 IC - very low back leakage & no need for switch or relay to isolate battery
Indicator Led to show CC/CV charging & fully charged - 2 Amp CC when used with small heatsink, otherwise 1-1.5Amp & 3.6V max voltage

Using some additional circuitry, chargers could be connected to multiple batteries in series
Search for them on ebay - about $2 from China
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:24 pm For single LiFePo4 battery you can use charger boards based on TP5000 IC - very low back leakage & no need for switch or relay to isolate battery
Indicator Led to show CC/CV charging & fully charged - 2 Amp CC when used with small heatsink, otherwise 1-1.5Amp & 3.6V max voltage

Using some additional circuitry, chargers could be connected to multiple batteries in series
is that something that needs multiple ps windings for multiple cells in series to provide isolation between each charger circuit supply?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:00 pm
jkeny wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:24 pm For single LiFePo4 battery you can use charger boards based on TP5000 IC - very low back leakage & no need for switch or relay to isolate battery

is that something that needs multiple ps windings for multiple cells in series to provide isolation between each charger circuit supply?
Using these TP5000 a simple configuration like this could work (it's limited by the 10V max input voltage of the TP5000 stated in the datasheet although board sellers recommend 9V max) which effectively limits it to 3 batteries - maybe only 2?
These turn off when battery charge reaches 3.6V & if not powered the leakage from battery to TP5000 is very very small - so no worries about discharging battery - no need for relay or switches to isolate battery
multi-battery charging.jpg
multi-battery charging.jpg (19.22 KiB) Viewed 940 times
These would also work & they have a 36V input max so good for 10 batteries - LTM8052 but they would need a relay or switch between each charger & battery to prevent back leakage
multi-battery charging 2.jpg
multi-battery charging 2.jpg (76.74 KiB) Viewed 940 times
Sorry, that only does 2.5V output - what is needed for one of these voltage regulators is one that can source & sink current - a 2-quadrant regulator
www.Ciunas.biz