Lexus IS300H

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
DaveF

Lexus IS300H

Post by DaveF »

The Lexus IS300H - anyone here ever driven one or have any opinions on them? Not much info on them online and the motoring journalists don't seem to be overly keen on it cos of the gearbox. But I've heard some owners say that the journalists are biased against it vs the German alternatives.
Looking to ditch my 3 series diesel which is a ticking time bomb.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Re: Lexus IS300H

Post by Diapason »

Funny you should ask this, my 5 diesel has been acting up over the last couple of weeks and I'm getting tired of it. Ticking time bomb seems about right.

I had a look yesterday at carzone and it's nearly impossible to find decent non-diesel cars that aren't very old. The Lexus was one of very few options, so I'm interested myself. I always liked my IS200 back in the day (which admittedly was an entirely different kind of car) so let me know how you get on in your research.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

While I love the way my 3 series drives it recently cost me something silly to get a minor part replaced. It's out of warranty soon so I'm looking around. One thing I've noted is that the IS300H came top in one of the reliability lists in 2015 and has been there or thereabouts since. User satisfaction surveys are very favorable too.
I've gone ahead and booked an extended test drive for Sat morning. The eCVT gearbox is something I need to see if its as bad as the journos say it is.

I had notions of going for a petrol 4 series but I think its time for something sensible and reliable for 4-5 years and by then the electric vehicle landscape in Ireland might be a lot more clear.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Sounds like we're having similar experiences. €500+ to replace a small part in the windscreen wiper assembly last year was the moment I decided my next car wouldn't be a BMW. As much as I like it.

Anyway, good look with the test drive.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

I think it will be down to your personal taste. I haven't driven this model but I have driven a few Lexus (ES, RX, ..) and in general just found they a bit boring and never took to the interior (exteriors of them I generally like). I have only ever driven petrol models of anything though so can't give comparison on diesel/hybrid. I do like that the newer models come standard with suite of safety systems. It cost us a few grand each to get these as options in my wife's and my cars.

BTW, I had a loaner of a 4 series for a few days and it was surprising low, too low for my taste, nearly pulled a muscle getting in and out.

Good luck with your search.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I spent quite a bit of time looking at EVs but there is a massive problem with the charging network here (ie points continually out of action, far too few of them, few fast chargers etc etc - just look at the FB groups!). Yeah, that and how goddamn ugly they all are (except tesla)

The CT200h seems nice - a friend has one.

It is my contention the following still holds true:

<10000km pa - consider hybrid or EV - only if this is not motorway driving, short run or town driving fits well
10-20000km pa - petrol engine
>25000km pa - its worth considering diesel

Current diesel engines are probably at the fine edge of how efficient they can run them - make sure the fuel filter is changed very regularly and only buy reputable diesel.
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I suspect the tax on diesel will be raised soon in line with petrol. With the current price of diesel even low annual mileage can make diesel cars attractive. Soon it will be down to straight MPG.
I suspect diesel cars are going to get a hammering in other ways too simply because of recent bad publicity.
I recently sold my old diesel tank in favour of an old petrol tank. I'm definitely seeing the fuel pump more but overall I'm happier with petrol... that said my mileage is small and mostly city driving.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

It seems difficult to predict how things will go in the coming years. In 3 or 4 years time Diesel will either be near dead or there will be a huge demand for secondhand diesels for those that do the big mileage that an EV wont suit for reasons do to range of the EV, upfront expense of an EV or the charging point problems for people who live in apartment blocks or require on-street parking.
It's one of my motivations for moving away from Diesel to a Petrol Hybrid. Not ideal considering most of my journey is motorway but I think I'll have more peace of mind leaving Diesel and BMW behind.

In my estate, there are a huge number of people who buy Diesels, then drive 2km down the road to park at the train station to get the Dart into town daily. Madness.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

The only certainty which can be predicted 100% is that no matter what you buy there will be depreciation. Unless one is doing enormous mileage’s fuel costs will always be smaller than depreciation.

I’m not sure if the Govt will hit diesel fuel, as diesel sales are already falling. They might do something about imports of cars from U.K. perhaps?

With the advent of Euro 5 emissions (2011 or so) DPF filters had to be added to most vehicles, but short commutes causesd a problem with DPF’s getting clogged. Owners are now starting to realize that fuel / annual motor tax savings of a diesel car will not offset the cost of a new DPF filter plus the labor costs and VAT. Some cars had to have the entire front suspension removed to get access to the DPF unit raising enormous hours in labor.

However for long motorway commutes diesel’s with high efficiencies can and do make sense.

Dave, another car you might look at is the 330e BMW, petrol engine with a 29 KM battery ( in summer). In addition a 7.5 K grant when buying new. You might get a better deal trading in your existing BMW for a new BMW etc.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

Good points Adrian. I had forgotten about the 330e, that could be a good choice. Also seems that the more expensive the car (with a few very small exceptions) the initial depreciation is brutal. I think Lexus may be better in this area, BMW seem to be one of the worst for depreciation but this is also model dependent. I don't know about Ireland but in the US you won't get a better deal trading in a BMW for a BMW, basically just get Kelly Blue Book and often Carmax is better. You will most likely get some customer loyalty bonus though usually worth a few $K
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2