Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tony

Re: Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Post by tony »

I will take one of the $38 boards also. I did my tracker mortgage research and the initial skepticism I had was correct. Nigel has a modded player connected to his Soekris Dac which is up there with fairly expensive dacs. I see the potential but I see the pitfalls and the need to either build a dac ala Nigel quality to marry to the modded SD player to get the best result. The faff of having to copy and paste music on to the sd card and then deleting could be a pita. Unlike Ken I don't listen to complete albums.

Will probably go for an aliexpress complete unit as a means of getting Aidan my son to buy into the project. He and the rest of the family can use it in the kitchen system and he will hopefully buy into the UI project. I see the potential for the nice phone app interface.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

OK, Tony - just to be clear - you want one of the bare bones DS card players I'm ordering?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

jkeny wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:12 pm OK, Tony - just to be clear - you want one of the bare bones DS card players I'm ordering?
Yes John certainly worth a punt. From chatting with Nigel I could mod the Ciunas to try it out. Of course no doubt I will blow it up again in the process!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

tony wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:28 pm
jkeny wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:12 pm OK, Tony - just to be clear - you want one of the bare bones DS card players I'm ordering?
Yes John certainly worth a punt. From chatting with Nigel I could mod the Ciunas to try it out. Of course no doubt I will blow it up again in the process!
Hey, don't mod the Ciunas - I don't need another support call :)
I can box up the SD player with an I2S reclocker & PCM5102 DAC + battery supply & charger - maybe even SPDIF output
This was what I was suggesting to Ken - that I could prototype something & send it on tour
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:41 pm
i was just thinking..... john will love that sort of mod talk

I can box up the SD player with an I2S reclocker & PCM5102 DAC + battery supply & charger - maybe even SPDIF output
This was what I was suggesting to Ken - that I could prototype something & send it on tour
thats actually what i first assembled my sd card player as
im fairly sure it would blow the socks off the lampi
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:57 pm
jkeny wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:41 pm

i was just thinking..... john will love that sort of mod talk
Yea, I spat out my tea - I can imagine you hearing Tony saying he would mod the Nige amp :)
thats actually what i first assembled my sd card player as
im fairly sure it would blow the socks off the lampi
Yea, i listen to it in this config analogue straight out to Superlux HD-681 headphones (32ohm impedance) - stunning portable sound!! No vol control but once you establish the vol you are happy with & put in resistor attenuator, it is fine
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

well we all .know who's phone rings if something bad happens
yea..... the muppet that designed it

is spdif still a big of a thing as it used to be?,

suppose most/all of those type of dacs convert spdif to i2s?
which is a pity with the extra signal handling.
doesnt mean it wont work really well though
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

anyone know of a good way to i2s switch so we can put a usb to i2s unit inside if so wished
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:46 pm anyone know of a good way to i2s switch so we can put a usb to i2s unit inside if so wished
I have plans to use one of these to do the I2S switching job - can switch 1 channel of I2S signals to either one of two I2S channels or the other way around
In other words a USB receiver with I2S out & a SD card (I2S out) can be switched into a single I2S in DAC.
Put a I2S reclocker just before DAC input & we don't have to worry about skew or jitter introduced by the switcher :)

TS3A44159PWR
www.Ciunas.biz
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

One point to note for users - the SD player doesn't handle tagging of WAV files - it expects raw WAV file - you get a burst of white noise if your WAV files have tags.

It handles Flac file tags fine

One way to overcome this is to convert tagged WAV files to 'WAV without tags' when putting files on SD card. Many programs have this facility
www.Ciunas.biz