New CD player...?

Seán

Re: New CD player...?

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:There will be a second hand Opus 21 available in Cloney's from Saturday. ;-)
It comes with a digital input too.
Congratulations Dave, I thought that you might take the plunge, Christmas has come early for you this year.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote:There will be a second hand Opus 21 available in Cloney's from Saturday. ;-)
It comes with a digital input too.
Nice one Dave....congratulations. May the Wadia serve you well!!
Does that signal the end of your love affair with vinyl :-(
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

cybot wrote: Does that signal the end of your love affair with vinyl :-(

no chance!
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Do you want an all in one cdp or are you open to separate transport and dac?

The likes of the hiface modded by john kenny is excellent as a transport.... you'd need a pc or laptop ....
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

DaveF wrote:
cybot wrote: Does that signal the end of your love affair with vinyl :-(

no chance!
Thank God for that :-)
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Take a look at JK's introductory offer at http://sites.google.com/site/hifacemods ... ctoryoffer

Too good to miss, the Hiface sound is superb and he's throwing in a free Dac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Claus

Post by Claus »

Thanks for those recommendations Fran and Ken! I am not sure I would be happy to only use my MacBook to play CDs. I need it in my studio a lot of the time, but separate transport and dac is an option of course. I just assumed it would get more complex and more expensive, so never really thought about it as an option. Certainly a good offer there Ken, but that would limit me to using my laptop as a source, correct?
Cheers,
Claus
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Hi Claus, the Hiface modded or otherwise is USB in only so you'ld need a laptop , you could use your regular one or buy a special netbook but if you buy a separate external drive for about 75euro you can store 1 TeraByte on it and keep your music there. It also opens the door to hi-res files as an added bonus.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Claus

Post by Claus »

I do like to stream some music, but I still like to have a player and CDs. The same way I like records.

I think I might go for the rDac solution in the short term, unless Cloney or another shop can convince me I am hearing a huge benefit from a more expensive player. I actually cant hear much difference after changing to my Pioneer DVD/HD recorder, but that might be more of an indication of how bad the Marantz was... ;) At the same time I know my system is capable of much more than I am hearing at the moment. It is a great amp and the speakers are just doing everything right both for orchestral music and rock. So skimping too much would be a bad mistake I feel... But I know the wife won't exactly be pleased if I ask her to release 3K+ to fund CD player...
Besides from Cloney, where else is worth going for auditioning?
Thanks,
Claus
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

KronosAV probably?

They are members here so you can look them up. They also do a discount for members here, so make sure you tell them you came from here if you do end up dealing with them.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try