What are you listening to?

DaveF

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote: Apparently the earlier Bernstein cycle is the one to have....
I have both Fergus and I'd go for the earlier cycle too. The sound is a little thin and bright in places compared to the more modern DG cycle but if you want to hear one of the earliest complete Mahler cycles this is the one to go for.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

fergus wrote:Mahler 5 Rückert-Lieder

1) Baker/Barbirolli
I was listening to that this evening too... until the hail crashing down on the skylight drowned it out. Lately I've been listening also to the version with Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau/Berlin Phil/Karl Böhm. The Berlin Phil winds are just glorious, and Böhm brings out an awful lot that I haven't heard in other versions. And DFD, well, one of the great voices of the twentieth century.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ciaran wrote:

1) Baker/Barbirolli
I was listening to that this evening too... until the hail crashing down on the skylight drowned it out. Lately I've been listening also to the version with Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau/Berlin Phil/Karl Böhm. The Berlin Phil winds are just glorious, and Böhm brings out an awful lot that I haven't heard in other versions. And DFD, well, one of the great voices of the twentieth century.
Interesting that, Ciaran, as I was thinking that I have no male singer versions of the Ruckert-Lieder. DFD would be an obvious choice here.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

fergus wrote:
Ciaran wrote:

1) Baker/Barbirolli
Interesting that, Ciaran, as I was thinking that I have no male singer versions of the Ruckert-Lieder. DFD would be an obvious choice here.
Recent discussion on "Building a Library" also liked Sigfried Lorenz,

which I have on order... I can report back when I get it. DFD is download only, but you can download it as a 44.1/16 FLAC and burn it to a CD, or possibly buy the CD secondhand.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ciaran wrote: Recent discussion on "Building a Library" also liked Sigfried Lorenz,

which I have on order... I can report back when I get it. DFD is download only, but you can download it as a 44.1/16 FLAC and burn it to a CD, or possibly buy the CD secondhand.
I listened in to that programme Ciaran and I was indeed very impressed with that disc....so much so that I will get it although I have not actually ordered it yet. I will therefore be very interested to read your thoughts on it when you eventually get a listen to it.
fergus

Post by fergus »

I really like the music of Joseph Krauss.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Liszt – Années de pelerinage, disc 3....

The conclusion of a very fine set with wonderful music that is very well played.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:Image
I love that CD.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler