Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:09 pm
After Dancing With The Stars
Or Dancing with the staff as I heard it called by Dave Fanning!
Anyways, no comment on that other than I hope you're joking :-)

Interesting article here even if it's nothing new for fans, some nice clips on it too:
https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/ ... 0s-albums/
Part 2 next week
Dancing with the Staff. That's a good one. Or maybe Dancing with the Stiffs :) When it came on I suddenly realised that the night was still bright. So I made my excuses and left for a two hour walk taking Cody with me. Bliss!

Thanks for the link Shane. Looks good 😊
Rob

Post by Rob »

Very good live album of King Crimson's mid to late 90s double-trio line-up. The album is better than the official bootleg B'Boom, which represented early live performances. However, disc two is largely better than disc one, although the first disc has the pleasure of a late period 21st Century!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Amazing what a bit of inspiration will do! King Crimson from the early days....and still ripping up the rule book half a century on :)

Rob

Post by Rob »

Very nice selection Cybot - I prefer their earliest stuff too and feel they began to slip a bit in the mid 70s, starting on Larks's and Red (though they are still good albums), when it appears that Fripp gave up playing acoustic guitar and started to get into a more dissonant sound with borderline metal riffing, which also mars some of the material on their later albums too IMHO, such as Thrak, but overall they are or quite recently were a creative band unlike so many of their 60s contemporaries, sadly enough. This change may be the fault of Brian E. but that's just a theory of mine! :)
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

I was on a parallel universe listening to Traffic, have I lost out?

John Barleycorn Must Die
The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Shootout at The Fantasy Factory
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:20 pm I was on a parallel universe listening to Traffic, have I lost out?

John Barleycorn Must Die
The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Shootout at The Fantasy Factory
Big time lol!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Rob wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:58 pm Very nice selection Cybot - I prefer their earliest stuff too and feel they began to slip a bit in the mid 70s, starting on Larks's and Red (though they are still good albums), when it appears that Fripp gave up playing acoustic guitar and started to get into a more dissonant sound with borderline metal riffing, which also mars some of the material on their later albums too IMHO, such as Thrak, but overall they are or quite recently were a creative band unlike so many of their 60s contemporaries, sadly enough. This change may be the fault of Brian E. but that's just a theory of mine! :)
Thanks Rob. Though I still love Larks and Red. The first time I heard Red I was amazed. Stunning absolutely stunning! Creativity was definitely their forte. Listening to King Crimson is never boring. Another album I love is his collaborative effort with a certain David Sylvian who, somehow, manages to sail through the guitar onslaught from Robert. Some gorgeous guitar noodling abound too. Will we blame the bald one for that ha ha?

BTW it's taken me nearly 40 years to finally appreciate/get Lizard. As I said they're never boring.......
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:59 pmBTW it's taken me nearly 40 years to finally appreciate/get Lizard. As I said they're never boring.......
So my parallel universe was okay then, I appreciated/got Traffic straight away!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:16 pm
cybot wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:59 pmBTW it's taken me nearly 40 years to finally appreciate/get Lizard. As I said they're never boring.......
So my parallel universe was okay then, I appreciated/got Traffic straight away!
That's like comparing Val Doonican to Stravinski lol!
Rob

Post by Rob »

cybot wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:59 pm
Rob wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:58 pm Very nice selection Cybot - I prefer their earliest stuff too and feel they began to slip a bit in the mid 70s, starting on Larks's and Red (though they are still good albums), when it appears that Fripp gave up playing acoustic guitar and started to get into a more dissonant sound with borderline metal riffing, which also mars some of the material on their later albums too IMHO, such as Thrak, but overall they are or quite recently were a creative band unlike so many of their 60s contemporaries, sadly enough. This change may be the fault of Brian E. but that's just a theory of mine! :)
Thanks Rob. Though I still love Larks and Red. The first time I heard Red I was amazed. Stunning absolutely stunning! Creativity was definitely their forte. Listening to King Crimson is never boring. Another album I love is his collaborative effort with a certain David Sylvian who, somehow, manages to sail through the guitar onslaught from Robert. Some gorgeous guitar noodling abound too. Will we blame the bald one for that ha ha?

BTW it's taken me nearly 40 years to finally appreciate/get Lizard. As I said they're never boring.......
Oh no I feel Red is a good to very good album, (particularly Fallen Angel), as I noted in my comment above, but with Larks Part II and onward to Red, Fripp had abandoned the acoustic guitar and started engaging in some fairly ordinary metal riffing - this became a feature of Crimson's later work - such as on Vroom and Thrak - and perhaps not coincidentally, those older tracks were a highlight their double-trio concerts, which featured interludes of Fripp's soundscapes, which often come across as a parody of 80s b-movie horror soundtracks. Quite a lot of their other songs during this period were impressive however but the above is perhaps why I would never say I'm an unequivocal fan of Crimson beyond their 1969-71 period. The great bald one intervened in Fripp's career as well as Bowie's - after the so-called 'Berlin period' Bowie was rubbish so don't dismiss the possibility! :)