New CD player...?

Claus

New CD player...?

Post by Claus »

Looks like my trusty Marantz is giving up the ghost.

It has started only playing the first minutes and the sound slows down and starts distorting like crazy.

I have been out of the loop for a while so I am not sure what the hot numbers are. But I like the look of Ayon CD-1s. Did anyone hear it at the Belfast HiFi show? Any other suggestions for demo at that price range?

My alternative would be to get the Arcam rDac (as I intended) and use my DVD/HDD player as a source, but I feel this would be a biggish compromise.

I am looking second hand so if anyone spots something interesting let me know.

Thanks for your input guys,
Claus
HiFiFan

Re: New CD player...?

Post by HiFiFan »

Hi Claus
I have heard the Ayon CD-1 and it is a great CD player. In the same price range (probably cheaper) you could also check out the Resolution Audio Opus 21 CDP. There is one presently on sale at audigon for $1,500 (dollars)
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Kronosav have the Moon CD-1 for £1099. I haven't heard the player myself but I believe they're very very good.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

I've ended up with an Arcam Rdac [bought it for a friend in the belief that he'd fix me up for it. As it happened he changed his CD player instead. So I kept it.]
I have an Arcam CD 37, which I really like.
To be honest I think that the Rdac is excellent.
Similar sound to the CD 37.
Very good, indiscernible from the coaxial maybe, optical input as well as USB.
I think it is a great value piece of kit.
Definitely spruces up USB feed from my Macbook. Sparkly. Great soundstaging, small and tidy.
I also feed a Sonos ZP 90 through it, have a lot of my CDs ripped to NAS and this is terrific.

I need a set of interconnects for it, Santa comes first, so I have fed the CD 37 digital out through the Rdac and it really is superb.

For what it's worth I think it's worth a listen. Might save you a good few quid and allow further connections down the line ?

BTW: I used to use a Meridian 500/566 transport/dac combo. I changed to the Arcam and it is, to my mind, vastly superior. Funny what 14 years of tech development does.
I auditioned various players and ended up with the least expensive on my shortlist because I couldn't hear a real improvement in quality for another 2K - 3K yo yo's.
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Claus,

Audiolincs, a UK dealer who is an absolute pleasure to deal with, has the highly regarded AMR 777 and a Lector 6 for sale (both new). The Lector is their entry level unit and sells for just over £1000. I have the bigger Lector (bought from Audiolincs) so if you want to hear that "sound" just gimme a shout.
http://www.audiolincs.co.uk/wtsnew.php? ... prd_id=353

I found a trustworthy review of the AMR http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/amr4/777.html

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

There will be a second hand Opus 21 available in Cloney's from Saturday. ;-)
It comes with a digital input too.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Well done davef!

Wadia was obviously impressive!
Do or do not, there is no try
Claus

Post by Claus »

Thanks guys I will try and check them out. I have always had a soft spot for Copland (being Danish and all) but their new player is VERY expensive. The AMR CD-777 looks amazing and the usb connection is a great feature. Plus it has valves and "no filter" options.... but not cheap!

I am also looking at the Danish Lyngdorf CD-1 which was very highly reviewed in Denmark ver the last years. It seems to be discontinued so it might pop up second hand soon....

And the rDac will definitely be the wife's favourite (and cheapest) option... Will as Noel for a demo....
Cheers lads,
Claus
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Claus wrote:. Plus it has valves and "no filter" options.... but not cheap!
The Lector also has valve output.

fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:There will be a second hand Opus 21 available in Cloney's from Saturday. ;-)
It comes with a digital input too.
Nice one Dave....congratulations. May the Wadia serve you well!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra