It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 22

Derek

Re: It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Post by Derek »

I can do this Saturday, what time you talking?
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

10ish onward is fine
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

I see from the pics some macho dudes do smd work without a magnifier :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:09 pm I see from the pics some macho dudes do smd work without a magnifier :)
in the pic i was soldering on the precision zfoil resistors for feedback and gain setting on the bottom layer of the amp board
the top layer we did in my diy reflow oven with reasonable success maybe 80% perfect
the solder joints look fantastic in such instances and a touch up with the iron on the others
i tried the first few on the hot plate and the hot air but most of the jfet sot23 parts were moving to hopping off the boards just before reflow

i don't particularly find the magnifier essential for applying paste, component placement or soldering at least so far
although i have some difficulty in poor lighting situations, i need good light
Pearses waldmann magnifier was very efficient in checking solder joints and bridges provides lots of confidence in whats been checked

Pearse was also doing a much better and tidier job of applying solder paste to the boards using it than i was without
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Jaysus, I looked up the price of Waldmann magnifiers €500 & up
I bought a good magnifier with in-built light in Maplin for €20
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:52 pm Jaysus, I looked up the price of Waldmann magnifiers €500 & up
I bought a good magnifier with in-built light in Maplin for €20
ive a couple of what i thought were decent led magnifiers myself the waldmann just embarrasses them badly
although id love one id just wouldn't get enough use out of it
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

I guess Tony must do a lot of smd work then :)
www.Ciunas.biz
jrling

Post by jrling »

Seeing that 50 Euro note (aka £50 at current exchange rates) getting near to the hot soldering iron is making me nervous.

Is that the day's wages for the volunteered assemblers?
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

jrling wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:58 pm Seeing that 50 Euro note (aka £50 at current exchange rates) getting near to the hot soldering iron is making me nervous.

Is that the day's wages for the volunteered assemblers?
I figured it was to bribe the inspector.

BTW, we have fancy magnifying lamps at work, they are great for working on SM parts.
At home, I have a magnifying visor. It gets to job done, and is much, much cheaper. $20 versus hundreds of dollars.
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Maybe an offering yo the DIY electronic gods
In hope that no components would release the magic smoke on first power up

I'm lucky so far I Dont really need magnification
But I'm sure that in a production environment industrial spec magnifiers would be quite the time saver