Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Cyndale

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by Cyndale »

What a beautiful day, but when the sun went away I decided to have a Bob Dylan afternoon.

Slow Train Coming (US original pressing) sounds awesome on the Quadral Chromium Style 8's
Real Live (UK pressing mastered at The Mastering Lab), I felt like I was there and Mick Taylor's guitar playing was the added bonus. Tombstone Blues rocked the house.
Empire Burlesque is an album I haven't played that much over the years, but hearing Sly & Robbie might alter that.
Oh Mercy Never was a fan of Daniel Lanois's production values, but the songs are great.
MTV Unplugged has a vibrancy to it that lifts the spirits, at least it did mine today.

Over and out!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:56 pm What a beautiful day, but when the sun went away I decided to have a Bob Dylan afternoon.

Slow Train Coming (US original pressing) sounds awesome on the Quadral Chromium Style 8's
Real Live (UK pressing mastered at The Mastering Lab), I felt like I was there and Mick Taylor's guitar playing was the added bonus. Tombstone Blues rocked the house.
Empire Burlesque is an album I haven't played that much over the years, but hearing Sly & Robbie might alter that.
Oh Mercy Never was a fan of Daniel Lanois's production values, but the songs are great.
MTV Unplugged has a vibrancy to it that lifts the spirits, at least it did mine today.

Over and out!
Nice write up! Once you go on a Bob roll you're finished ;) That MTV Unplugged does have an amazing vibrancy that really lifts the spirits right from the fantastic opener Tombstone Blues. Believe it or not I've never felt the need to check the other albums you've mentioned. From your description they sound like I should as his latest stuff is supposed to be embarrassing.....though that's a bit unfair as I haven't heard any of it, nor do I want to :)
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

I followed that up with a great 'twofor' album (1973) I have... Humble Pie's Lost & Found, which is their first two albums - As Safe As Yesterday IS and Town & Country.

If you like acoustic guitar (ha!), you will love Town & Country. Engineered by Andy Johns (Glyn Johns brother), the sound is absolutely stunning as is the playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoQarsxgR1o
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:18 pm I followed that up with a great 'twofor' album (1973) I have... Humble Pie's Lost & Found, which is their first two albums - As Safe As Yesterday IS and Town & Country.

If you like acoustic guitar (ha!), you will love Town & Country. Engineered by Andy Johns (Glyn Johns brother), the sound is absolutely stunning as is the playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoQarsxgR1o
Didn't realise they were that good! A certain Mr. Frampton turned me off a bit especially after hearing the Live album. Please don't play Show Me the Way :)
cybot

Re: Rock - what are you listening to....

Post by cybot »

Always loved this mammoth double vinyl album. They even do a very sloppy live version of a Creedence song! Well they were from Southern California weaned on BÖC and Creedence. They especially loved the Pop Group. You can definitely hear the Beefheart/Wire/P-Funk influence on the, count them, 43 songs on this set.....

https://youtu.be/9OkDInnOZyw
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Going through a funk/soul period at the moment... Southside Johnny and Asbury Jukes, Boz Scaggs, Delbert McClinton, etc.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Been listening to this album a fair bit of late - the CD I have has messy sound quality even taking account of the recording's vintage, but some of the mellower songs and some of the older blues standards and the looser jams, are great. The band, which didn't last very long, and album itself have some tragic associations. Clapton went off the rails partly I think over the relationship that is illustrated in many of the songs. Bassist Carl Radle died ten years later from rock n' roll excesses. Drummer Jim Gordon became a schizophrenic and murdered his mother. Duane Allman was killed a year later in a motorcycle accident just at the age of 24.
mcq

Post by mcq »

cybot wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:35 am Image
An immortal record, Dermot, and their finest recorded moment. At this point in their career, they occupied a position that was somewhat peripheral to their more traditional hard rock contemporaries. Rather like Black Sabbath early in their career or, somewhat later, the Canadian prog-thrash band Voivod. I vividly recall being forcefully struck by their Dimension Hatross album and, to a lesser extent, the later Nothingface. They retained the rhythmic propulsiveness of early thrash but there was a progressive angularity in their approach that underlined their peripheral position within the thrash metal scene. I never really followed the band after these albums because, by that time, I was already slowly transitioning into other genres like jazz and classical. But, every so often, I will play the CD and it still sounds fantastic and untouched by the dated excesses of late-80s thrash.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Rob wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:54 pm Image

Been listening to this album a fair bit of late - the CD I have has messy sound quality even taking account of the recording's vintage, but some of the mellower songs and some of the older blues standards and the looser jams, are great. The band, which didn't last very long, and album itself have some tragic associations. Clapton went off the rails partly I think over the relationship that is illustrated in many of the songs. Bassist Carl Radle died ten years later from rock n' roll excesses. Drummer Jim Gordon became a schizophrenic and murdered his mother. Duane Allman was killed a year later in a motorcycle accident just at the age of 24.
There is no 'good' sounding version of Layla, I heard it best described as an 'organic mudbath'. More importantly... the music is just about as good as it gets!. I have four different versions on vinyl and they all sound like crud, but it is an LP I return to repeatedly!