Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
mcq

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by mcq »

Enjoy it, Dermot. I think i's at least as good as Vol. 1 but this was a golden year for the Dead.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:32 pm Enjoy it, Dermot. I think i's at least as good as Vol. 1 but this was a golden year for the Dead.
Thanks again Paul.....

By the way any more weird and wonderful discoveries you can share with us?

Paid a visit to our local record emporium yesterday and discovered they had a Mono repress of Tim Buckley's Goodbye and Hello album on vinyl. Then earlier today I found out that his legendary Live in London '68 album has also been repressed on triple vinyl instead of the usual double. No extra tracks just more space for the tracks to, er, breath :) I already have two versions so I don't need another. Repeat to myself : 'I don't need another'
Rob

Post by Rob »

cybot wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:35 am
Rob wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:55 am
cybot wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:45 pm The version I have is the triple Lp set and I think it's fine; much more ballsy than the original single disc version. I genuinely think Eddie Kramer did a more than worthwhile job. I do have another one that came after the original which tried to cram an hour of music onto a single Lp. I only ever listen to the triple set so I honestly cannot remember what the other two sound like or even your own remastered cd version....I'll say one thing about the triple set though Machine Gun only sounds unbelievable :)
Thanks, I think the one you mention that tried to cram an hour of music onto it is the 1991 version, which only featured two tracks from the original 1971 release. It has a rather unduly dry sound ON CD and a few of the tracks are not what one would call the highlights of the gig. The 1971 original has a strong sense of atmosphere, especially on Midnight Lightening and All Along the Watchtower, but is rather short unfortunately, and lacks a few of the great tracks from that gig such as Red House. Your triple LP must be the complete concert, which would be interesting to check out.
Played the 1971 original and I was really surprised how well it sounded. But, then again, it is one of his best live recordings despite not being his best performance - so say the naysayers. I've always loved it despite its so called flaws etc etc. But you'd want to hear his performance the very next day somewhere in Sweden. A complete and utter mess. Very sad to hear too but as an important document of an exhausted artist killed by the music industry it's vital. His guitar literally howls for mercy.

Anyway I understand what you mean by the ghostly atmosphere. As you said it's clearly evident on Midnight Lightening. Listening to either the original or the three Lp set last night I was also struck by how amazingly live the album sounds. A really 'hot' recording. After Foxey Lady finished I was both exhausted and exhilarated at the same time. Wow! Definitely the best rendition of that song I've ever heard him do. I must read the notes as I thought I heard a malfunction with his guitar plus the security people breaking through the ether.

You know it makes sense.......get that triple :)
I have always liked the 1971 version a lot - its very "analogue" as one guy suggested but its a shame its so short.

My own feeling is that the rendering of some of the tracks at that gig are some of his best versions, while others are a bit dissipated due to exhaustion - for example, his version of Red House is outstanding, In From the Storm has a real authority about it, and All Along the Watchtower has a rare frantic energy, while his version of Message to Love is clearly inferior to the Band of Gypsys live album. 'Midnight Lightning' is about as atmospheric as ghostly blues can ever get but seemed to sound drier on the newer full concert release but then again I only heard it on Youtube! Yeah, Foxy Lady is a great version, its more ethereal than the earlier renditions of the song done live. Some of the tracks were interrupted by security comms - on Machine Gun, while radio station garbage came through on tracks like Foxy Lady. Thanks, must check out the Swedish gig for comparison!
cybot

Post by cybot »

I remember the very first time I heard the Midnight Lightning cut from the IOW I was shocked by the difficulty he was having trying to summon up the ghosts of his stellar past performances. As you said it was spooky. The first time I heard Red House was on the OST recording of the very first Jimi Hendrix film. Again I heard his vulnerability and the performance struck me as a very human one. Watching the film some 20 years later you can clearly see his frustration and annoyance performing the song. How it still managed to sound as good as it did is a miracle. But, then Jimi himself, was definitely a being from outer space! As Robert Cray said once : 'Where DID he come from?'

I love the security interruptions on Machine Gun but I'd forgotten Foxy Lady!

I've posted two pics of the Swedish gig. I got the double in Borderline Records who were good at this kind of stuff. It's on blue wax too. I dug it out last night and had a listen to Side One and I thoroughly enjoyed it! But I stick by my earlier comments. Oceans of his mercurial guitar nearly drown what vocals you can hear but what guitar! One for the diehards methinks but still worth hearing.....

As a matter of interest what other Live stuff have you got of Jimi's performances?

In no particular order and leaving out the obvious I would recommend the following :

Hendrix in the West double - featuring a side long and amazing Red House.

Concerts double

Band of Gypsies triple plus new double Machine Gun

Cologne double

LA Forum double

Winterland double or box set

RAH set

Rob

Post by Rob »

cybot wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:27 pm I remember the very first time I heard the Midnight Lightning cut from the IOW I was shocked by the difficulty he was having trying to summon up the ghosts of his stellar past performances. As you said it was spooky. The first time I heard Red House was on the OST recording of the very first Jimi Hendrix film. Again I heard his vulnerability and the performance struck me as a very human one. Watching the film some 20 years later you can clearly see his frustration and annoyance performing the song. How it still managed to sound as good as it did is a miracle. But, then Jimi himself, was definitely a being from outer space! As Robert Cray said once : 'Where DID he come from?'

I've posted two pics of the Swedish gig. I got the double in Borderline Records who were good at this kind of stuff. It's on blue wax too. I dug it out last night and had a listen to Side One and I thoroughly enjoyed it! But I stick by my earlier comments. Oceans of his mercurial guitar nearly drown what vocals you can hear but what guitar! One for the diehards methinks but still worth hearing.....

As a matter of interest what other Live stuff have you got of Jimi's performances?

In no particular order and leaving out the obvious I would recommend the following :

Concerts double

Cologne double

LA Forum double

RAH set
Hi Cybot, I am surprised to read that Hendrix seemed frustrated when playing the Isle of Wight version of Red House, as I think its the best version I have heard (quite a few I haven't heard of course) - very intense focused soloing. Yeah the version of Machine Gun has a lot of interruptions from security comms, they interrupt near the start of the track and near the end I think some guy is heard singing! lol This version of Machine Gun is much more grimy than the Band of Gypsys version which works for the darkness of the theme but maybe BoG is better overall.

I haven't kept up to date with the drip-feeding of Hendrix live albums since the 90s I'm afraid so its a fairly old selection:

Live at Winterland - the 1968 gigs with what was then a fancy ADD transfer!

Band of Gypsys single CD with three bonus tracks of mixed quality - Hear my Train is the best IMO - good album overall although the Buddy Miles tracks hold it back.Must make a point of checking out the Band of Gypsies triple release you mention.

The "Experience" albums of the Royal Albert Hall 1969 gig - not great and bad sound although with some good moments. Hendrix often sounds bored. These tracks were endlessly recycled on grey import albums.

Hendrix in the West - original now deleted along with Heroes, Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge - great version of Hear my Train on the latter from Berkeley.

Live at Monterey - one of his very best.

The Scene club 1968 albums - the less said about Morrison's performance the better...
cybot

Post by cybot »

Rob I'll reply properly to your post later ok....

In the meantime listen to this......it's from the night after the IOW ie In From The Storm somewhere over the rainbow :) Now go back and read my earlier post. Spooky as hell....

cybot

Post by cybot »

Rob wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:18 pm
cybot wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:27 pm I remember the very first time I heard the Midnight Lightning cut from the IOW I was shocked by the difficulty he was having trying to summon up the ghosts of his stellar past performances. As you said it was spooky. The first time I heard Red House was on the OST recording of the very first Jimi Hendrix film. Again I heard his vulnerability and the performance struck me as a very human one. Watching the film some 20 years later you can clearly see his frustration and annoyance performing the song. How it still managed to sound as good as it did is a miracle. But, then Jimi himself, was definitely a being from outer space! As Robert Cray said once : 'Where DID he come from?'

Concerts double

Cologne double

LA Forum double

RAH set
Hi Cybot, I am surprised to read that Hendrix seemed frustrated when playing the Isle of Wight version of Red House, as I think its the best version I have heard (quite a few I haven't heard of course) - very intense focused soloing. Yeah the version of Machine Gun has a lot of interruptions from security comms, they interrupt near the start of the track and near the end I think some guy is heard singing! lol This version of Machine Gun is much more grimy than the Band of Gypsys version which works for the darkness of the theme but maybe BoG is better overall.

I haven't kept up to date with the drip-feeding of Hendrix live albums since the 90s I'm afraid so its a fairly old selection:

Live at Winterland - the 1968 gigs with what was then a fancy ADD transfer!

Band of Gypsys single CD with three bonus tracks of mixed quality - Hear my Train is the best IMO - good album overall although the Buddy Miles tracks hold it back.Must make a point of checking out the Band of Gypsies triple release you mention.

The "Experience" albums of the Royal Albert Hall 1969 gig - not great and bad sound although with some good moments. Hendrix often sounds bored. These tracks were endlessly recycled on grey import albums.

Hendrix in the West - original now deleted along with Heroes, Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge - great version of Hear my Train on the latter from Berkeley.

Live at Monterey - one of his very best.

The Scene club 1968 albums - the less said about Morrison's performance the better...
Hi Rob,

Just a brief reply to your post.

Red House IOW is not the best version but it's certainly up there.

Band of Gypsies triple is worthwhile simply because of three versions of Machine Gun, Train and Stone Free.

The Royal Albert Hall gigs were released on two separate albums which are absolutely fine for completists. Sound much better than the 'Experience' versions.

Hendrix in the West new version has three bonus tracks plus, what is considered Jimi's finest rendition of Red House from San Diego '69. To hear it all on its own on side two is akin to a religious experience.......Don't say I didn't tell you ;)

Monterey is ok but not my favourite though I love watching it just to see Jimi so happy and playful.

You know what to do :)
mcq

Post by mcq »

cybot wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:36 am
mcq wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:32 pm Enjoy it, Dermot. I think i's at least as good as Vol. 1 but this was a golden year for the Dead.
Thanks again Paul.....

Paid a visit to our local record emporium yesterday and discovered they had a Mono repress of Tim Buckley's Goodbye and Hello album on vinyl. Then earlier today I found out that his legendary Live in London '68 album has also been repressed on triple vinyl instead of the usual double. No extra tracks just more space for the tracks to, er, breath :) I already have two versions so I don't need another. Repeat to myself : 'I don't need another'
Personally, I would advise you to buy the new pressing, savour it and enjoy it and hope that the new mastering brings you closer to the music.  But try to find a sympathetic listener and give him/her your old copy and pass on this wonderful music.  We never really own this music, but, rather, we open our hearts and minds to it and it takes hold of our imaginations during our little lifetimes.  The great music will survive us all long after we have crumbled to dust.  So, pass it on, I say.  Jane Austen once called life a series of busy nothings but music (and all great art) is a hallowed something that gives our lives substance and meaning and makes them worth living.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:51 am
cybot wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:36 am
Thanks again Paul.....

Personally, I would advise you to buy the new pressing, savour it and enjoy it and hope that the new mastering brings you closer to the music.  But try to find a sympathetic listener and give him/her your old copy and pass on this wonderful music.  We never really own this music, but, rather, we open our hearts and minds to it and it takes hold of our imaginations during our little lifetimes.  The great music will survive us all long after we have crumbled to dust.  So, pass it on, I say.  Jane Austen once called life a series of busy nothings but music (and all great art) is a hallowed something that gives our lives substance and meaning and makes them worth living.
What a lovely start to a Sunday morning. That's really good advice but when it comes to vinyl I just cannot part part with my 'extra' copies. No way. I've been chided time and time again about this but I just cannot do it. After reading your 'little' piece above maybe it's time......to let go.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Last year, I bit the bullet and culled (I hate saying got rid of) about 80 LPs duplicate LPs to make room for LPs starting to pile up on the floor (familiar to anyone?). I also got rid of a lot of reissues by labels such as 4MenWithBeards, Back to Black, Sundazed, for me the original were simply better in every way. Great sounding originals will always sound better than 'audiophile' reissues! On the odd occasion a reissue has sounded better than the original (which sounded bad in the first place).

At the moment I'm listening to...

Art Pepper Quartet (Mono)
Eric Clapton - 24 Nights which I only bought about a month ago for €20 (absolutely mint)

Next up Nic Jones - Penguin Eggs (Vinyl 180 reissue).