Cut to size MDF at B+Q ?

james

Cut to size MDF at B+Q ?

Post by james »

At yesterday's meet-up a few people mentioned that B+Q will cut MDF to any size wanted. Do all the B+Q shops do this and what is the procedure? Would I need to book in advance or do I just turn up with a list of sizes?

Thanks,
James.
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
tony

Re: Cut to size MDF at B+Q ?

Post by tony »

Woodworkers and Hobbies in Mount Tallant Avenue will do all so. I think they charge a euro a cut
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

You just turn up at B&Q, choose your MDF sheet, somebody will take it to the cutting machine and you tell him what you want done.
That was my experience with them, happy enough I was.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I think all of them will do it James - the cuts are reasonably accurate - good enough for most diy speaker builds etc.
Do or do not, there is no try
Audioq

Post by Audioq »

Yeah, I got some cut at B&Q Naas. Just be careful to measure correctly because you probably have to buy full sheets (8' x 4' ?) regardless of how much you actually need. I mis-measured and ended up having to buy more than I needed.
james

Post by james »

Thanks for all the hints.

I want to build a hifi rack. I already have one made of chipboard and it is starting to sag under the weight of the hifi. Basically I have a sort of bookcase with shelves. The bottom is big enough to take LP's; the next few are for CD's and I have the hifi sitting on the top. Some of the boxes are on top of each other (which I know is bad). I intend to build more or less the same thing (but with thicker wood) and have two top shelves for the hifi.

Any suggestions about MDF versus plywood? Whatever I get I want it pre-venerred.

James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

tony wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:32 pm Woodworkers and Hobbies in Mount Tallant Avenue will do all so. I think they charge a euro a cut
I used Woodworkers and Hobbies to cut 1'' maple plywood pieces to house my record collection. I measured out all the shelves and supports only to get a shock when I arrived to collect it all. It's only when you see all your measurements turn into 'Legoland' that you appreciate the cutting service.