Why vinyl might sound better

sanbar

Why vinyl might sound better

Post by sanbar »

Hi
I really enjoy your site and I came across the Hans Beekhuyzen channel on you tube which I like - He has put a video up on why vinyl might sound better - Just thought I would share it with you https://youtu.be/ghv3NIjmbj8
Cyndale

Re: Why vinyl might sound better

Post by Cyndale »

Well, here is a YouTube video that absolutely 100% PROVES that vinyl sounds better than CD, enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5dCMz4gKLI
cybot

Post by cybot »

:)))))))))
Russino

Post by Russino »

Cyndalew wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:13 am Well, here is a YouTube video that absolutely 100% PROVES that hiring accountants in Tunbridge Wells here works and sounds better than CD, enjoy!
I always try to listen to vinyl when I can but it takes time to setup. Always sounds better though.
Last edited by Russino on Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
jrling

Post by jrling »

Listening to the incredibly delicate processes and numerous copies involved in making a cutting master for vinyl, it is incredible how they sound so good.

Slightly off the question, but when I listen to CD transfers of old vinyl recordings, it is very evident that they were recorded for vinyl or from analogue tapes, by the sound of the drums. I mean the lower frequencies of a drum set, such as tom-toms and kick drum, which sound completely different from a modern digital recording made for CD. By different, it is an immediacy and clarity of the drums sound and the lack of any boom or lower frequency harmonics, I am guessing. Probably because the frequency range of the tape or subsequent mastering was restricted to make it acceptable for mastering on vinyl? Closer to a real drum sound too. I prefer it.

The same comments can apply to electric bass guitar.

Usually if the transfer to CD has been carried out well, the rest of the frequencies are difficult to distinguish from vinyl. Well that's what my ears tell me anyhow.
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

I think vinyl is assumed better because of how bad most digital is down to noise, jitter and suspect filtering
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

nige2000 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:09 pm I think vinyl is assumed better because of how bad most digital is down to noise, jitter and suspect filtering
I'm not disagreeing with you but vinyl sounded "better" before digital music ever existed. I can't measure why I prefer vinyl but that's where words like warmth, presence and musicality come in. Vinyl seems to get closer to the original recording. Of course both formats have their place.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable