Guitar for a child

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Fran
Site Admin

Guitar for a child

Post by Fran »

Hi all,

My youngest has talked about wanting to learn guitar. There is an electric guitar here, but its probably better for her to start with acoustic.

So what would yis recommend for a 10 yr old? Happy to go new or secondhand but given that she'll probably drop it I don't want to spend a fortune - less than a ton anyway.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Re: Guitar for a child

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:33 pm Hi all,

My youngest has talked about wanting to learn guitar. There is an electric guitar here, but its probably better for her to start with acoustic.

So what would yis recommend for a 10 yr old? Happy to go new or secondhand but given that she'll probably drop it I don't want to spend a fortune - less than a ton anyway.

Fran
I think Music Maker and Walton's stock smaller guitars. There's a music school.in Tenenure beside the car park / bottle bank and I'm sure I've seen kiddies guitars there. Or get her a ukulele!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

If your child has small hands, like most children, a three quarter sized guitar is easier to manage. Electric guitars are easier to play than acoustics, I would favour learning on an electric. A small guitar amp along with a short scale guitar can be picked up from adverts on adverts.ie or done deal.ie. Also in shops of course.

But the most important element is guitar teacher. FRAN I can't emphasize enough the importance of a good guitar teacher. When you learn something, it becomes permanent. Things like strumming technique, left hand, posture etc. A good teacher will guide the young guitarist and teach them songs that they know. Songs that will keep her interested and enthused about guitar.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Good advice that Rocker - guitar may be sorted now, next up is to find the teacher.....
Do or do not, there is no try
tweber

Post by tweber »

These are getting great reviews and good value:
https://www.musicstore.de/en_IE/EUR/Fen ... 040804-000