LA Audio Show

HiFiFan

LA Audio Show

Post by HiFiFan »

Went to the LA Audio Show. This was the first year for this particular show, I guess it will be a rival to the later Newport Show. Anyway it wasn't bad, nicely manageable in size compared to some of the larger ones from RMAF etc.

The few items that stood out for me was
(a) A Dolby Atom experience - not so much the sound but the projection/visual - really good
(b) Perfect 8 speakers, great sound but $125K per speaker
(c) There was a strange room (everything was being a curtain) but it involved some electrostatics from Magenplanar that were stacked together and paired with a horn (I think) as a center channel in a 3 channel configuration. Each of the 5 speakers had their own amplification with the L & R pairs getting the same feed of course. Really, really nice sound.
(4) The few rooms where I hear the Wilson Audio Yvette also sounded good. Especially the one from The Audio Salon where they were driven by DCS and Constellation
(5) Heard Spendor are coming out with a new Classic 1/2 model soon which might be interesting, had my refurbished Spendor BC1s for ages and really loved the midrange
Last edited by HiFiFan on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Diapason

Re: LA Audio Show

Post by Diapason »

I've seen a fair few pictures and there seems to have been some lovely gear but some awkward rooms. I'd like to hear some of the more expensive systems that I've read so much about.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

Thanks for the links Ken. I didn't take any pics. I'll have to look out for some show reports.

One thing I noticed is that this show seemed to have many more female attendees that the Newport show or RMAF. Still disportionate to all the nerdy guys but a step in the right direction.

I found the headphone section to be a little smaller than I expected.

At this stage I have heard many of the speakers/equipment so many times so I tried to focus more on newer models or novel ones. If there was some interesting music playing I would drop in but in most cases if I didn't like the music and it was equipment I had heard before I usually skipped the room.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2