Quadral Chromium Style 8

cybot

Re: Quadral Chromium Style 8

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 8:43 pm
cybot wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 12:13 pm
Sibilance:

The only Lps I can think of is what I'm listening to at the moment. Anyway I'm just curious to see if the Quadral's can render the sibilance more benignly in the sense that you can hear them but they're not intrusive. Anyway here's two:

The Beatle's Revolver : For No One - I personally think that Paul's sibilance is exaggerated on purpose.

The Beatle's Hard Days Nignt : Things We Said Today.

The only Thomas Dolby album I have is his stunning soundtrack to Gothic. Thanks for the link I'll listen later.
The only copies of Revolver & A Hard Day's Night I have are original Mobile Fidelity LPs. I have just played both LPs and I have to say 'sibilance' is not something that jumped out at me. I would have thought it would be pretty obvious on the Mobile Fidelity LPs which I regard as thin, hard and bright.

Despite my love for The Beatles, I just hate listening to their LPs on a good hifi system, I have always believed the only way to listen to them is on a cheap player or on the radio, am I mad or what. For all the praise heaped on producer George Martin I think it is more for helping The Beatles produce better music than better sound, if you know what I mean.

If you can think of some other LPs that have sibilance, post them to me.

Just finished playing The Motels debut LP and it sounds terrific on The Quadrals, one thing I am noticing is that the snare drum on my good sounding records has much more snap to it on the Quadrals than the B&W CM7. Have a listen to the The Motels Total Control, this sound wonderful on the Quadrals, the bass, the snare drum and her voice just fills the room and all the while the incidental bits of backing are clear as day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MFlHGP0VAc
Interesting about the MF Beatles. Maybe they tuned out the sibilance ;) I do have an aversion to it and what you're hearing probably sounds normal to you. Anyway I've always felt that the Goldring series 1000 cartridges with their higher than normal output (6.5 volts) were sibilance magnets.....pun intended. I experimented with a Nagaoka MP110 cartridge and it was a revelation. Best mm I ever heard in fact. Unfortunately I was having massive static issues and on two different arms that I gave up......for now. I have worked out a solution to the problem which I'll try out sometime in the future.

I hear you about the Beatles on a good hi fi system! Thankfully I actually enjoy them on my own system probably because of the richness/fullness of sound which actually enhances George's production. But I know exactly what you mean. A friend of mine was demoing a pair of Howard's against Martin Logan's one time. He's a massive Beatles fan. They sounded absolutely awful on the ML's. Needless to say he eventually went for the Howard's.

Thanks for the Motels track. Will listen later as I always manage to forget to listen before I write this :) The Thomas Dolby track is stunning alright. Never really got into him. Went for Yello instead :) I used to get phone calls from my other friend who was worried about all the sibilance he was hearing on the Yello Lps :) His was a Gyrodeck, Audio Innvations Series 500 and ProAc Response One system......
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 10:08 pm
Interesting about the MF Beatles. Maybe they tuned out the sibilance ;) I do have an aversion to it and what you're hearing probably sounds normal to you. Anyway I've always felt that the Goldring series 1000 cartridges with their higher than normal output (6.5 volts) were sibilance magnets.....pun intended. I experimented with a Nagaoka MP110 cartridge and it was a revelation. Best mm I ever heard in fact. Unfortunately I was having massive static issues and on two different arms that I gave up......for now. I have worked out a solution to the problem which I'll try out sometime in the future.

I hear you about the Beatles on a good hi fi system! Thankfully I actually enjoy them on my own system probably because of the richness/fullness of sound which actually enhances George's production. But I know exactly what you mean. A friend of mine was demoing a pair of Howard's against Martin Logan's one time. He's a massive Beatles fan. They sounded absolutely awful on the ML's. Needless to say he eventually went for the Howard's.

Thanks for the Motels track. Will listen later as I always manage to forget to listen before I write this :) The Thomas Dolby track is stunning alright. Never really got into him. Went for Yello instead :) I used to get phone calls from my other friend who was worried about all the sibilance he was hearing on the Yello Lps :) His was a Gyrodeck, Audio Innvations Series 500 and ProAc Response One system......
I have just two Thomas Dolby LPs but I love them, The Flat Earth and Aliens Eat My Buick!!

Listen to this track from it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdT4t0ywppA

Have you used moving coil cartridges at all? After hearing my first moving coil cartridge I could never go back to moving magnets. The moving coils just seem to resolve all the frequencies much better than MM's. Is it possible that MM cartridge just emphasise sibilance, because sibilance has 'never' been issue for me.

Just have the one Yello LP The Race, must take it out and play it again, I'm sure it will sound great on the Quadrals. I have been surfing the net reading all the reviews of the various Quadral loudspeakers and most of them have been 5-star reviews.

I used to always bring my 'best' sounding LPs to hear a demo of some equipment or other, experience has taught me to bring LPs that are difficult, because good sounding music will generally sound good on anything (ha!).

PS: No I don't have shares in YouTube (ha!)
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 11:50 pm
cybot wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 10:08 pm

I have just two Thomas Dolby LPs but I love them, The Flat Earth and Aliens Eat My Buick!!

Listen to this track from it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdT4t0ywppA

Have you used moving coil cartridges at all? After hearing my first moving coil cartridge I could never go back to moving magnets. The moving coils just seem to resolve all the frequencies much better than MM's. Is it possible that MM cartridge just emphasise sibilance, because sibilance has 'never' been issue for me.

Just have the one Yello LP The Race, must take it out and play it again, I'm sure it will sound great on the Quadrals. I have been surfing the net reading all the reviews of the various Quadral loudspeakers and most of them have been 5-star reviews.

I used to always bring my 'best' sounding LPs to hear a demo of some equipment or other, experience has taught me to bring LPs that are difficult, because good sounding music will generally sound good on anything (ha!).

PS: No I don't have shares in YouTube (ha!)
The Thomas Dolby sounds terrific. Fun too.

The Motel track is 'not available' on the link. Listened to a live rendition instead. Pretty good too. Did yer man Michael Brook play with them? I do have some of his albums :)

Yes I've had one mc and it was only fantastic. It was an Audio Technica OC5. Still have it boxed away somewhere. I know this may sound silly but the thought of continually removing the cartridge for a retip is just not on even though it's not that difficult to realign it. Mental block I guess :) Nah the mm's suit me just fine despite their shortcomings:)

Ah you need more Yello in your life! Try Stella, Solid Pleasure, Baby or the New Mix in One Go for starters....Just listen as the videos are......not very good :)

You're right, bring the baddies as well as the goodies to the demo shoot out.

At the moment Quadral can do no wrong :)

Right have to go. A long, long day tomorrow. WEDDING :(

Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Try this link to The Motels Total Control...

cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 7:59 pm Try this link to The Motels Total Control...

Still 'not available'! No worries I can check it out elsewhere.....
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 10:06 pm
Cyndale wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 7:59 pm Try this link to The Motels Total Control...

Just copy that link and paste it into internet explorer or firefox. Strange how it won't work through the forum.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 12:44 am
cybot wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 10:06 pm

Just copy that link and paste it into internet explorer or firefox. Strange how it won't work through the forum.
It doesn't work because somebody has blocked it. When I'm doing the video links I use the youtube application above. That way I know whether it'll work or not.....Anyway I had a listen elsewhere and they're surprisingly good especially the vocalist.

I forgot to mention that I gave you the wrong Beatle track re: sibilance. It should have been 'And I Love Her' from A Hard Days Night. If it's not obvious on your system then there's definitely something amiss! In all the systems I've ever had or heard it was always there. So if you cannot hear it I will be very surprised. I know on my own system if I tuned it out then the finer detail on other material like Jazz would definitely suffer. Just saying.....
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 2:01 pm It doesn't work because somebody has blocked it. When I'm doing the video links I use the youtube application above. That way I know whether it'll work or not.....Anyway I had a listen elsewhere and they're surprisingly good especially the vocalist.

I forgot to mention that I gave you the wrong Beatle track re: sibilance. It should have been 'And I Love Her' from A Hard Days Night. If it's not obvious on your system then there's definitely something amiss! In all the systems I've ever had or heard it was always there. So if you cannot hear it I will be very surprised. I know on my own system if I tuned it out then the finer detail on other material like Jazz would definitely suffer. Just saying.....
Strange that, I just clicked on the link and it works fine. Those Yello videos you posted are a gas and they sound good as well.

Will listen to And I Love Her as ssssooonn as I get a chance.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 9:48 pm
cybot wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 2:01 pm It doesn't work because somebody has blocked it. When I'm doing the video links I use the youtube application above. That way I know whether it'll work or not.....Anyway I had a listen elsewhere and they're surprisingly good especially the vocalist.

Strange that, I just clicked on the link and it works fine. Those Yello videos you posted are a gas and they sound good as well.

Strange indeed!

Yello were de rigour for a complete system work out back in the day so I'm not surprised they sound good. The 12" were to die for. Unbelievable sonics. Boris Blank knew his way around the sonic field. And you're right the vids. are a gas!

Sssssssee you soon ;)
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 1:18 am

Strange indeed!

Yello were de rigour for a complete system work out back in the day so I'm not surprised they sound good. The 12" were to die for. Unbelievable sonics. Boris Blank knew his way around the sonic field. And you're right the vids. are a gas!

Sssssssee you soon ;)
[/quote]

SSSSsssooooo I listened to And I Love Her and I have to ssssay, there was only word sung by Paul that I would regard as sibiliant and that word was Ssshee, but to my ears it is fairly well suppressed on my system. Every other word starting with 'S' like stars and sky were fine. I listened to it a couple of times and because you mentioned it, it wouldn't have bothered me too much if I didn't know in advance.

Talking about Yello reminded me that I had a 12'' single of The Race/Oh Yeah I also have two copies of the album The Race (UK and US and the UK is far superior to the US which just doesn't have the impact of the UK.

The Quadrals just deliver the 'kick' that the album has and the sound effects are so clearly defined in their own little space if you know what I mean.

I must keep an eye out for any 12'' singles or albums as listening to The Race made me realise why I bought it in the first place.

Ssssoo I have to get back to making the dinner as I dance around the kitchen listening to Yello. Ah it's great stuff, hard to believe this stuff was recorded so long ago. Sound just doesn't get any better than this.