Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
mcq

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by mcq »

I actually have a copy of The First Day on cassette which I bought not long after its initial release.  To be honest, I haven't listened to it in a long time but I do recall having it on constant rotation at the time. I must dig it out again and see how it measures up against my good memories of it the first time round.

With regards to Poseidon, it is very interesting to hear you confess that it is your favourite Crimson album.  To be honest, the first Crimson album is somewhat overrated in my opinion (in comparison to what has followed since) aside from Schizoid Man and Epitaph whch still sound amazing.  In particular, the title track can sound a little of its time unless treated a bit roughly (the current lineup do just that with the three drummers really providing a more solid rhythmic foundation than the original recording).  

My recollection of Poseidon is that there are two standout tracks, Pictures of a City and Cat Food, which I still really enjoy (especially for Keith Tippett's contribution to the latter) but I will have to spend some time with it again to offer an opinion.  I do know that there was a wonderful outtake, Groon, which really should have been on the original album.  

Comparing the first four albums to the three succeeding albums with Wetton and Bruford (and Muir and Cross) really demonstrate the benefits of a settled lineup of musicians that shared Fripp's goals and appetite for adventure.  I can pick out individual tracks from the first four albums which I love but none of them have the sense of cohesion of the Wetton/Bruford albums.  However, I really like the change of direction on the Lizard and Islands albums and really wish that Fripp delves further into this repertoire with the current lineup.

I never managed to pick up any of the expanded box sets for Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Starless and Bible Black and Red, though I was tempted. The live material was very attractive but I bought the fantastic Night Watch 4-CD set back in the early Nineties which I devoured hungrily at the time and which was an amazing document of the best lineup at their most freely inspired and daringly innovative.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

The First Day is what it is, a brief snapshot of two unlikely pairings having fun and ending up sounding almost like a heavier version of Life in the Bush of Ghosts. I love Robert's more upfront guitar playing which is captured brilliantly on this recording. I remember getting the live Damaged cd and being totally underwhelmed especially with the bland lifeless recording. Hard to believe! But.....I believe there are two versions of said album: one produced by David and the other by Robert! So maybe I got the wrong one!

Yes Schizoid Man and Epitaph are amazing. Title track is very much of its time and it's something I just cannot listen to for some strange reason! Another sweet little song is I Talk to the Wind especially Greg's earnest vocals and as for that weeping guitar......

I've heard of Groon but I've never actually heard it. Had a brief listen to Night Watch and it is only fantastic! Wow! It's going on Amazon for £9.99 for the two disc set. Will most definitely check it out even though I don't possess a cdp :)

Just for the hell of it here's a clip of the track Nightwatch from the aforesaid album.....

mcq

Post by mcq »

My apologies, Dermot, the 4-CD set to which I referred was The Great Deceiver.  However, the performance captured on The Night Watch 2-CD set (Amsterdam 23/11/73) is considered by many Crimson fans to be one of their finest concerts.  I have the performances of Schizoid Man and Talking Drum from this concert on the live CD included in the 4-CD career overview, Frame by Frame, and they are exceptional but the obvious highlight of the complete concert is the improvisation, Fracture, which originally appeared on Starless And Bible Black, and described by Fripp himself as one of his most physically demanding performances   -  it is certainly an astonishing work of cumulative intensity that gradually coheres into something brutally unhinged and undoubtedly one of his touchstone performances in which he secured his reputation as one of the very greatest guitarists.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:04 pm My apologies, Dermot, the 4-CD set to which I referred was The Great Deceiver.  However, the performance captured on The Night Watch 2-CD set (Amsterdam 23/11/73) is considered by many Crimson fans to be one of their finest concerts.  I have the performances of Schizoid Man and Talking Drum from this concert on the live CD included in the 4-CD career overview, Frame by Frame, and they are exceptional but the obvious highlight of the complete concert is the improvisation, Fracture, which originally appeared on Starless And Bible Black, and described by Fripp himself as one of his most physically demanding performances   -  it is certainly an astonishing work of cumulative intensity that gradually coheres into something brutally unhinged and undoubtedly one of his touchstone performances in which he secured his reputation as one of the very greatest guitarists.
No worries Paul! I actually copped that on but thought no more about it. It looks like the Deceiver set is now available as two separate double cd sets. Laughed at one of Robert's joke titles, Sharks Tongues in Lemsip :) Looking forward to checking them out soon....Well after RSD at the very least. Though I still think it's just an excuse to fill the coffers.

Incidentally in the Wire review I alluded to earlier you could sense Robert's disgust at a Wire hack labelling his music in an earlier interview as a '.....poor man's Black Sabbath'!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Sadly my one and only live King Crimson Lp. Original edition of just 6 tracks. Can't remember what it sounds like but I'll know later.....

Rob

Post by Rob »

cybot wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:50 pm Sadly my one and only live King Crimson Lp. Original edition of just 6 tracks. Can't remember what it sounds like but I'll know later.....

Was going to buy the USA album a while ago but opted instead for their first live set, 'Earthbound', which TBH was a bit let down by disappointing sound quality.

'B'Boom: Live in Argentina', which captured the newly reformed [largely] 80s line-up, is more satisfactory, with some great versions of their classics but sound quality is at times a bit on the iffy side because it is taken from pre-mixed live soundboard tape.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Rob wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:43 am
cybot wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:50 pm Sadly my one and only live King Crimson Lp. Original edition of just 6 tracks. Can't remember what it sounds like but I'll know later.....

Was going to buy the USA album a while ago but opted instead for their first live set, 'Earthbound', which TBH was a bit let down by disappointing sound quality.

'B'Boom: Live in Argentina', which captured the newly reformed [largely] 80s line-up, is more satisfactory, with some great versions of their classics but sound quality is at times a bit on the iffy side because it is taken from pre-mixed live soundboard tape.
Ah you made a fatal move Steve! 'Earthbound' is supposed to be one of their worst live offerings. The USA album is.......stunning! Get it. The cd version contains extra tracks. Also the previous cd sets recommended by Paul sound stunning to me. Definitely on my long list of essential buys.
Rob

Post by Rob »

cybot wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:16 pm
Rob wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:43 am

Ah you made a fatal move Steve! 'Earthbound' is supposed to be one of their worst live offerings. The USA album is.......stunning! Get it. The cd version contains extra tracks. Also the previous cd sets recommended by Paul sound stunning to me. Definitely on my long list of essential buys.
Yeah not a good move - I didn't bother listening to 'Earthbound' much while I had it but seems to have a few fans at least! Thanks, will look out for USA as I prefer Crimson's old stuff.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Plus 'Night Watch'/'The Great Deceiver' Vols. 1 & 2 :)
mcq

Post by mcq »

I've been listening to Margaret Glaspy's debut record, Emotions and Math, this afternoon.  Her greatest strength, in my opinion, is her succinctness in expressing herself.  Quite literally, she doesn't waste a single word or play a single extraneous note.  There is something very old-fashioned and traditional in the directness of her songwriting as well as a sense of level-headed maturity and clear-sightedness in the way in which she approaches her subjects.  The more you listen to this album, the more you appreciate the artfulness and craft that lies behind the apparent simplicity of these songs.  Her soulful, nasal, raspy  voice is worthy of note,  an essential ingredient to the sound picture, communicating her words with a sense of hard-won integrity and an emotional honesty that is not to be questioned.  Without a doubt, it will be fascinating to follow her developing career.