Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

Nicely remembered Johnny with some superlative albums :-) Neil would be proud...Time does indeed fade away..
JAW

Post by JAW »

mcq wrote:
JAW wrote:In honour of Neil's birthday today.

Time Fades Away. Young's most under-appreciated masterpiece. Wonderfully heartfelt songs like Journey Through The Past and The Bridge. One day he'll do the decent thing and issue it on CD. (I hear it's going to form part of the next Archives box. It's about time.)
Indeed. I was very lucky to get a copy. I bought it in Golden Discs in Stillorgan in the early eighties. One of the staff was a fan, as they always had a good selection of Neil's work there. I think that it was deleted soon afterwards. I used to have Journey through the Past, which went off on a journey on it's own after a party. Never played it much but still miss it! BTW, forgot to say that Neil is 65 years Young!
cybot

Post by cybot »

JAW wrote: Indeed. I was very lucky to get a copy. I bought it in Golden Discs in Stillorgan in the early eighties. One of the staff was a fan, as they always had a good selection of Neil's work there. I think that it was deleted soon afterwards. I used to have Journey through the Past, which went off on a journey on it's own after a party. Never played it much but still miss it! BTW, forgot to say that Neil is 65 years Young!
I actually have a copy too but I can't remember where I got it. I do remember hearing for the first time some in the Vintage Record shop up Belfast way a long, long time after it's first release; I was shocked when I heard it as I was lead to believe that it was a 'piece of crap' :-) I do have a fantastic piece about the album that was given away free with one of the music rags and if you haven't read it I'll take it with me next time we meet up.... Anyway everything Paul says is true and it should be out on CD at this stage...BTW I know exactly what you mean about JTTP :-)

Here's an excerpt:
Neil Young's Time Fades Away:

'Over twenty years on from its original release in November,  1973, Time Fades Away still comes as much of a shock to the senses as being plugged into the mains. At first, it sounds merely mangy, unbelievably ragged, untogether, ramshackle. It takes a while for it to assume anything you'd care to call a shape or purpose. The warm lapping melodies of Harvest have been replaced by an exclamatory urgency that veers toward the gap-toothed, dribbling, eyeball-rolling hysteria of some hillbilly revivalist meeting. Whole chunks of the album,  in fact, are like a mad, unhinged sermon on mortality, greed and distress. The stage is Young's pulpit, in a church without a God. (Allan Jones - Melody Maker 1995)
cybot

Post by cybot »

cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
tony

Post by tony »

Since it is Neil Young Weekend and I feel as old as he is.

GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

Great to see this seminal album back in the vinyl racks :-)

http://www.backtoblackvinyl.com/vinyl/C ... actory.php
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:Image