Cartridge Upgrade -Suggestions?

ConorW

Cartridge Upgrade -Suggestions?

Post by ConorW »

Considering changing my cartridge and looking for suggestions as to what would give me a significant improvement.
Have been using the Dynavector 10x5 (which I got from a member here) on an upgraded Rega300b tonearm.

Any suggestions for an upgrade? I know several on the forum plum for -Benz, Sumiko or Ortofon.
Also where is the best place to buy them?

My budget is probably €1000-1300.

Thanks
Conor
Lenco L75 Self build, Roksan Nima tonearm, Benz MicroGlider SL, AudioResearch PH7 phono, Luxman SQ-38U Integrated (or a Wavac MD300b),
BlueSound Node 2i, Auralic Vega, AudioNote AN/E Speakers.
bod

Re: Cartridge Upgrade -Suggestions?

Post by bod »

Hi Conor. What pre-amp are you using? I recently upgraded to the latest spec Microgroove Plus D/S (from the old Microgroove Plus), which was an enormous leap in performance (around €1300 - standard version is about €700 I think). I used a Clearaudio Titanium for years using the old version. My new set-up, with the new version Microgroove Plus and a Hana EL is really superb and, in many ways I prefer it to the old set-up. Bear in mind, that the RB300 may not be up to the task of dealing with a Low Compliance MC. Stick to Medium/High compliance carts and you should be fine. The Hana really punches well above it`s weight. There is also the Hana SL (Shibata) version. Happy hunting!
ConorW

Post by ConorW »

Thanks bod,
I am using 2 amp combinations which I switch between depending on mood. I have the Luxman SQ38U integrated which has a very good phonostage.
I also use old version of the Tom Evans Microgroove Plus with a Wavac amp. Both should be able to handle a very wide range of hi/lo cartridge.

You raise a question in my mind about the tonearm. Do you think I would get a better improvement on the tonearm upgrade? Hadn't being considering that but.....
Lenco L75 Self build, Roksan Nima tonearm, Benz MicroGlider SL, AudioResearch PH7 phono, Luxman SQ-38U Integrated (or a Wavac MD300b),
BlueSound Node 2i, Auralic Vega, AudioNote AN/E Speakers.
bod

Post by bod »

Hi Conor. The arm is decent and should be well able to perform with many MC`s. I just don`t think that Low Compliance designs (e.g. Clearaudio MC`s that track at 2.8grams) would be that well suited. The upgrade cost to the Tom Evans Microgroove Plus D/S from what you have is a no-brainer imo. It is better than the original Groove, it`s that good! What deck are you using? (If it`s an LP12 then that limits the choice somewhat - I personally don`t think the Rega is good on them). I`ve read many a great review of the Audiomods Rega`s which seem like an real bargain for the cost: http://www.audiomods.co.uk/ Cheaper too if you have a donor arm. I use a Clearaudio Unify, which I love, but uni-pivots have their own set of quirks that take some time to get used to and certainly don`t like being handled when drink has been taken!!! So, my short answer is upgrade the Tom Evans and take it from there as you may not need anything else except more records :-). (BTW - I am not familiar with the Luxman so can`t comment).