George Murray RIP

JAW

George Murray RIP

Post by JAW »

George Murray, of Murrays in Dun Laoghaire and Grafton Street has passed on. I'm sure that he was known to many here through the various shops he worked in.

http://www.hotpress.com/news/Record-sho ... 83886.html
Ivor

Re: George Murray RIP

Post by Ivor »

Yeah, I knew him first from Grafton Court. He pointed toward some great music if I asked for his opinion... usually with 4 LPs in my arms and the money for 2!

His basement shop on Wicklow Street (almost across from Freebird) was full of rarities, bootlegs and other oddities... and not just the customers.

He was one of those hugely influential Record Store guys that only come up every few generations.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Just seeing this now. Thanks for letting us know Johnny. Sad to hear. He was a proper gentlemen too. I first met him in his shop at the top of Grafton St. I remember buying a Sandy Denny vinyl box set there (still have it) and he was suitably impressed. But, then again, you weren't really sure if he was or not. He always had that twinkle in his eye. May your gentle soul rest in peace......
JAW

Post by JAW »

I used to work in Dawson Street in the late seventies and spent many lunch times in Murrays. I used to love the way they sellotaped picture sleeves from new wave singles on the wall going up the stairs to the shop. Also the way one of the record bins was labelled "No Hopers" for groups George thought were past it or just crap.
cybot

Post by cybot »

JAW wrote:I used to work in Dawson Street in the late seventies and spent many lunch times in Murrays. I used to love the way they sellotaped picture sleeves from new wave singles on the wall going up the stairs to the shop. Also the way one of the record bins was labelled "No Hopers" for groups George thought were past it or just crap.
Nice story Johnny. Vaguely remember the new wave picture sleeves. No recollection of the "No Hopers" bin though.....Sounds like the stuff I listen to :)