It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 22

nige2000

Re: It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
Sligolad wrote:Great to hear Nige's amp sounding so good yesterday at Tony's.
Its reputation as a giant slayer is increasing every time we hear it now.

Tony's Jadis was added to the list of amps blown into the wind by this monster performer yesterday, it was a shock to me how much better it was on the day.

Adding a preamp only ended up holding it back which surprised me, looking forward to seeing its release next year and I think all who signed up for the Group Buy realized yesterday just how good a deal this is going to be when we get one in our hands.

Amazing work Nige.

Thanks again Tony for a great day....would have loved to try the pizza but had to run eventually!
Hope that Lampizator is still sounding great and you found all the parts.
Yes, I concur - the difference between Nige's amp & the Jadis was spectacular in the Bob Marley tracks which really demonstrated the grip on bass & overall balance that Nige's amp demonstrated.

Again, thanks to Tony & appreciate the pizzas but couldn't participate - hope the family enjoyed their pizza diet for the next week?
was amazed with the bass out of the quads yesterday
didn't think it were possible
anyway overall really pleased the way the amp preformed
high energy, fast moving, busy tracks like Bob Marley really shows its strengths

nice to have a bit of excitement around the group buy, which Fryderyk has lots of work done on circuits and pcbs that will make it more professional looking, more reliable, better longevity and equipment safe, so big kudos deserved there

hope the lz level four is ok, it will be better again with the potato flipflop in it,
whats it sound like now?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Thanks to Nigel and Pearse for the surgery on the LZ yesterday. Spent a good while listening last night so it would seem the work paid dividends. Will spend a bit of time with this before passing judgement. No doubt with Nigel's amp the Bob Marley track was much tighter and more defined. The only caveat is the subs were not used with Nigels amp but the bass was huge but taunt from the 63's only. Even the Shelby lynne track had the room vibrating. New addition also is Pearse's loaned Supertweeters. Nobody passed any positive or negative comment.

We are all looking forward to Niges amp. It is shockingly good.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

The facial expression of confusion in the room was priceless
as Tony explained the subs were in use with the jadis and not with the lifepo4 amp
"ah no you mean the other way round " eh

I prefer bass quality over quantity myself
Not the boomy stuff..... yuck
So hopefully it's taut enough
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:The facial expression of confusion in the room was priceless
as Tony explained the subs were in use with the jadis and not with the lifepo4 amp

Yea, the cone of confusion descended quickly
I presume Tony didn't mix that up & that the subs were actually only on with the Jadis & not with the Lifepo4 amp? In which case the subs were either shagging up the bass & sucking the life out of it or the lifepo4 amp got the bass right so that perceptually it sounded louder than the Jadis. I go for the later explanation. Richard thinks it was the Jadis PS that's probably the problem.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

When are you bringing this amp to my place, Nige? I'd love to hear how it handles the impedance curve of the big SFs, as a few other amps I've had through the door seem to have struggled. Maybe we could arrange a Saturday or Sunday in the new year?

Anyway, I'm sorry I missed this little gathering, but since I'm attempting some form of diet (Keto, since you asked) it's probably best that I wasn't exposed to pizza.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote:The facial expression of confusion in the room was priceless

Yea, the cone of confusion descended quickly
I presume Tony didn't mix that up & that the subs were actually only on with the Jadis & not with the Lifepo4 amp? In which case the subs were either shagging up the bass & sucking the life out of it or the lifepo4 amp got the bass right so that perceptually it sounded louder than the Jadis. I go for the later explanation. Richard thinks it was the Jadis PS that's probably the problem.
I think that fast moving punchy tracks needs a very fast responsive amp
Like the sound off a crack of a whip it needs that loud crisp snap to sound right
I think what happens when it's not responsive enough we just don't get the snap and it loses its impact

We could guesstimate volume matching by using less dynamic tracks and then move back to bob Marley for the direct comparison
tony

Post by tony »

jkeny wrote:Yea, the cone of confusion descended quickly
Who is Richard I didn't see him there! Subs are connected to the speaker inputs of the Jadis. Phone cable. Digital amp in the sub.
I was perfectly happy listening later on in the evening but I did hear a distinct difference hence looking forward to the completed amp to spend more time. We did so many changes on the day. JK yoke, TDA dac, Soekris Dac, me worrying over my LZ. Add in intona, different interconnects.

Apologies Derek if I had realized a lot of the day was listening to the amp I would have remembered to contact you. My head was on usb cards and Nigels new board thingy that didn't arrive in time
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Diapason wrote:When are you bringing this amp to my place, Nige? I'd love to hear how it handles the impedance curve of the big SFs, as a few other amps I've had through the door seem to have struggled. Maybe we could arrange a Saturday or Sunday in the new year?

Anyway, I'm sorry I missed this little gathering, but since I'm attempting some form of diet (Keto, since you asked) it's probably best that I wasn't exposed to pizza.
What's the impedance of the speakers?
Hopefully will be testing output transformers soon
Which should be great for speakers that's hard to drive
Where you trade volume for power and control
Meaning in essence your speakers are easier to drive

Yes I'll pop down some day
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:
jkeny wrote:Yea, the cone of confusion descended quickly
Who is Richard I didn't see him there! Subs are connected to the speaker inputs of the Jadis. Phone cable. Digital amp in the sub.
I was perfectly happy listening later on in the evening but I did hear a distinct difference hence looking forward to the completed amp to spend more time. We did so many changes on the day. JK yoke, TDA dac, Soekris Dac, me worrying over my LZ. Add in intona, different interconnects.

Apologies Derek if I had realized a lot of the day was listening to the amp I would have remembered to contact you. My head was on usb cards and Nigels new board thingy that didn't arrive in time
Richard is the chief advisory audio engineer aka abraxalito

Think Tony sweating over the lampizator was my favorite bit of the day
Otherwise we wouldn't have figured out what the day chip was pcm1794 or pcm1798
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

nige2000 wrote: What's the impedance of the speakers?
From the Stereophile measurements of the original (non-SE) speaker:
the speaker is still a demanding load for the partnering amplifier, with an impedance magnitude that drops to 2.5 ohms throughout the upper bass (fig.1). There is also a punishing combination of 4 ohms magnitude and –50 ° electrical phase angle at 70Hz that will suck gobs of current from the amplifier
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/sonu ... 2bofhIM.99
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2