Get together in Nige's

nige2000

Re: Get together in Nige's

Post by nige2000 »

Fran wrote:Great reading about this guys, sorry I couldn't be there.....
if ye want call down some evening over next couple weeks
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Derek

Post by Derek »

It looked to be a great meet up, disappointed I couldn't be there, another time I hope.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

I need to package my SDTrans so it could make the flight and let you folks hear it.

If you would invite me ...
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

welcome anytime
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rab

Post by rab »

Great work guys!
Are there any details on Pearse's PC available?
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

rab wrote:Great work guys!
Are there any details on Pearse's PC available?
Hi Rab, you will see most of it in my Signature below and in the pic on the previous page you will see it on the top right.
The 2 boxes underneath are part of it, being a Paul Hynes power supply and a Teradak ATX Linear supply.

It is just a streacom case with Gigabyte Mobo H97M-D3H, 16gb Ram, and i7 CPU.
The real work comes with adding a PPA OCXO, linear regulator for the RAM, linear 3.3v to PCIe JPlay USB Card and some work in Bios.
Music is on an SSD and also on a CF Card to SATA adaptor, not sure there is much of a difference!
After all of that add Wtfplay and you are good to go.

Not for the faint hearted :-))

Get together in Nige's

Post by rab »

Thanks Pearce, as it happens I am just about to start ordering parts for a high power I7 6700K PC like this (i already have a low power NAA,-type one).
I was planning to order the Asus motherboard that the Sound Galleries music server uses, and I note they replace the crystal clock with something like the PPA clock, so i will do the same. Do you have any particular RAM to recommend, or just any good one? I note that sound galleries use coolers on their ram dimms.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rab wrote:Thanks Pearce, as it happens I am just about to start ordering parts for a high power I7 6700K PC like this (i already have a low power NAA,-type one).
I was planning to order the Asus motherboard that the Sound Galleries music server uses, and I note they replace the crystal clock with something like the PPA clock, so i will do the same. Do you have any particular RAM to recommend, or just any good one? I note that sound galleries use coolers on their ram dimms.
had a brief read through the thread on CA
and more here
http://positive-feedback.com/reviews/ha ... r-sgm2015/

its double choked which is great to negate problems with been connected to mains electricity

most of audio pc is to do with controlling noise
never underestimate the influence of power

seems like they're not afraid to charge for it, if it were me and goin all out.... i would have provided separate transformers for each voltage rail
they say they can't hear a benefit of usb cards?
most of the benefit of usb cards is the ability to power that card chipset and oscillator with a separate reference supply, i guess they never tested that?

the ram wont need coolers never will be warm
i bet its a form of emi protection
some of the adhesive 3m emi absorber would be fine either

another thing people forget is pc monitors and amplifiers in most countries earth to ground causing a ground loop between pc/dac and amp

i think skylake chipset is 24mhz any good tcxo clock module would be a good improvement with a reference supply, maybe even better than a ocxo with a poorer supply!

its a slippery slope
but its really astounding how good it can sound
rab

Post by rab »

Thanks Pearce, yes I have already read much of the build thread on CA -- and just now posted my own proposal!
The SGMS review is what made me decide to get the ASUS mb. I would buy their server and be done with it, but it costs stupid money. Who can afford that?

My problem is indecision. I have been wringing my hands for too long, so am now taking the plunge.

I am curious however, about your experience with the Teradak supply. I am thinking of their 600W version, see http://www.teradak.com/products/106.html. Would you endorse that decision?

thanks again.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:
rab wrote:Thanks Pearce, as it happens I am just about to start ordering parts for a high power I7 6700K PC like this (i already have a low power NAA,-type one).
had a brief read through the thread on CA
and more here
http://positive-feedback.com/reviews/ha ... r-sgm2015/

its double choked which is great to negate problems with been connected to mains electricity

most of audio pc is to do with controlling noise
never underestimate the influence of power

seems like they're not afraid to charge for it, if it were me and goin all out.... i would have provided separate transformers for each voltage rail
they say they can't hear a benefit of usb cards?
most of the benefit of usb cards is the ability to power that card chipset and oscillator with a separate reference supply, i guess they never tested that?

the ram wont need coolers never will be warm
i bet its a form of emi protection
some of the adhesive 3m emi absorber would be fine either

another thing people forget is pc monitors and amplifiers in most countries earth to ground causing a ground loop between pc/dac and amp

i think skylake chipset is 24mhz any good tcxo clock module would be a good improvement with a reference supply, maybe even better than a ocxo with a poorer supply!

its a slippery slope
but its really astounding how good it can sound
$16,000 for computer?!!
If I start all over again, I will only look for a good streamer!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS