UltraHighEnd; Anyone have experience of a Wood Pellet Stove

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Rocker

UltraHighEnd; Anyone have experience of a Wood Pellet Stove

Post by Rocker »

We have a Stanley solid fuel boiler stove in the kitchen. It works fine but it is 'hard work' fueling it, emptying ashes and bringing in fuel from the shed. We are looking at replacing it with a Wood Pellet Boiler Stove. Such stoves are expensive and before outlaying a lot of money, we would like to hear of the experiences of people who have such a stove installed. Thank you
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Ivor

Re: UltraHighEnd; Anyone have experience of a Wood Pellet St

Post by Ivor »

I can only give the view of someone who didn't go ahead with a wood pellet stove... first to make it economical you need to buy pellets in bulk... I don't have the storage space but maybe you do, but that's a huge consideration. For most effective use you need to install a hopper behind the stove (in an adjacent room is preferable) so again, if you have the space that's not an issue.
Other than that the flexibility of them, the ability to send the system a txt to fire up is just great! And that was quite a few years ago when I was looking into it... they probably cook dinner and record GAA matches now!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Gussy Finknottle

Post by Gussy Finknottle »

Ah i nearly forgot about those things,I have'nt fitted one of them for a good number of years i thought they were a thing of the past.Plenty of issues with them my friend
He who dies with the most expensive HiFi wins
Derek

Post by Derek »

Very important to keep the pellets very dry.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
tony

Post by tony »

I flirted with that idea years ago bur Derek and Gussy's posts are what came back. It would seem good quality pellets,automatic hopper system and making sure it is a reliable make and well installed are the issues. When you factor all that in I think a good condensing oil boiler with some sort of support from a good solar type water heating system will be much better bang for buck and less heartache.
Talk to Fran his I think geothermal system works well. Of course you may need to dig up all your floors!!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Gussy Finknottle

Post by Gussy Finknottle »

Get yourself a Daiken heat pump and change your rads to alloy type you wont go wrong.Solar panels are another market ply as far as i am concerned you will never get your hard earned dosh back from them. Lots of heat pumps on the market now but as always most dont do what it says on the tin.Any info you want just ask no problem
He who dies with the most expensive HiFi wins
tony

Post by tony »

Gussy Finknottle wrote:Get yourself a Daiken heat pump and change your rads to alloy type you wont go wrong.Solar panels are another market ply as far as i am concerned you will never get your hard earned dosh back from them. Lots of heat pumps on the market now but as always most dont do what it says on the tin.Any info you want just ask no problem
Would be inclined to agree re the Solar panels. Fine if it is a new build as you are spending lots anyway with the grant it can be sort of buried in the cost but retrofit to an existing system is not worthwhile.Solar probably requires fossil fuel prices to double to make them really worthwhile(fingers crossed that don't happen!)
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Seán

Post by Seán »

tony wrote:
Gussy Finknottle wrote:Get yourself a Daiken heat pump and change your rads to alloy type you wont go wrong.Solar panels are another market ply as far as i am concerned you will never get your hard earned dosh back from them. Lots of heat pumps on the market now but as always most dont do what it says on the tin.Any info you want just ask no problem
Would be inclined to agree re the Solar panels. Fine if it is a new build as you are spending lots anyway with the grant it can be sort of buried in the cost but retrofit to an existing system is not worthwhile.Solar probably requires fossil fuel prices to double to make them really worthwhile(fingers crossed that don't happen!)
I beg to differ. We have had solar tubes on our south facing roof since 2011 and they are marvellous for heating our water cylinder for showers, etc; placement is key. We heat the water for 20 minutes in the morning and have hot (50 to 60c) water for most of the summer. Highly recommended.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
tony

Post by tony »

Seán wrote:
tony wrote:
I beg to differ. We have had solar tubes on our south facing roof since 2011 and they are marvellous for heating our water cylinder for showers, etc; placement is key. We heat the water for 20 minutes in the morning and have hot (50 to 60c) water for most of the summer. Highly recommended.
I have exactly the same result Sean from mine in a south facing roof. They often heat the tank to 66-76 degrees but if you used your gas boiler to heat the water exclusively during the summer you would see that making back the cost of the solar panels is going to take 20+years at current price levels. Think that is what Gussy means
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

+1

You really need to be very careful in working out costs for your own case. What pays back for one may not for another - IMHO when the capital repayment cost is >10yrs its not worth doing. For me, PV panels are currently (!) running at 10-12yrs. If they get a little more efficient, or the price drops another bit (or the shagging ESB actually pays for feeding back to the grid, bloody monopoly), then its worth me investing 10-15k in panels. A mate of mine in Newry has his shed covered in them and makes quite a few bob off them. Other than that, coal is one of the cheapest forms of heating still (although not very convenient for a home heating application). You really need to take into account all the costs including maintenance that might be associated. The solar panels are virtually maintenance free, and have long life which helps greatly I think.

SEAI home heating costs comparison (whatever you say, I do think they present the information pretty well) http://www.seai.ie/Publications/Statist ... risons.pdf

Overall though, there is little in Ireland that encourages you to do anything other than burn oil.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try