It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 22

Ken Moreland

Re: It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Post by Ken Moreland »

Nige's estimate of 800€ is very good value. The Gamut 200D new costs around 11000€ to 13000€ and in comparison Nige's amp produced better bass through the Eists than the Gamut. Through the Trio's the performance was also superb. Anybody thinking of a new amp should seriously consider this one.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

John,

Aren't you worried about RF noise with this DC/DC?

I've been playing with this one:

http://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/isolated- ... s/6662792/

in a RF application (Batteries->DC/DC->RF transceiver). Despite all filtering that are there it was noisy as hell. 100% thick shielding + fed-through caps + keeping it away from transceiver did the job. But off course this is not an RF application.

Also looking forward to meet up if it happens. I can bring my DCB1 for tests if anybody is interested.

F
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

frd1996 wrote:John,

Aren't you worried about RF noise with this DC/DC?

I've been playing with this one:

http://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/isolated- ... s/6662792/

in a RF application (Batteries->DC/DC->RF transceiver). Despite all filtering that are there it was noisy as hell. 100% thick shielding + fed-through caps + keeping it away from transceiver did the job. But off course this is not an RF application.

Also looking forward to meet up if it happens. I can bring my DCB1 for tests if anybody is interested.

F
Did u use that device for the dcb1
Its the converter after the batteries thats doing most of the harm
The lifepo4s will abosorb the vast majority of switching noise though am inlined to air on the side of caution
I have noticed a little degradation using switchers to maintain voltage on cells before

I dont expect doind it linear will break the bank
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

No, have not tried this on DCB1. My DCB1 uses Salas shunt.

Nigel, I understood that your current build does not use J-fet buffer at the input. Or does it? I thought that bringing DCB1 would be the easiest way to try the amp with and without the buffer.

F
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

As Nige says , it's the DC-DC converter after the batteries that is the noise issue with your config, F
I've not heard any degradation with switchers charging batteries (before battery) while batteries powering circuit
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

OK, thanks for explanation. Good to hear that you have tested this aspect.

F
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Yea the buffer thats handling primarily the input signal would be the first priority or concern
the dcb1 wouldnt have came about otherwise
Btbh id imagine we would be splitting hairs over decent ps to batteries id imagine most systems wouldnt realise a benifit but i like to aim high :)
Were just using the batteries as cheap super duper capacitors and the results are astounding

Anyway im at a wedding so time for a beer me thinks
Keep the ideas coming guys :)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Derek

Post by Derek »

Hi Nigel
Is there room left for me to sign on for the group buy?
After listening to the amp at Fran's last week it was truly impressive, I want one!
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
rab

Post by rab »

nige2000 wrote:http://www.ev-power.eu/WINA-30Ah-100Ah/ ... html?cur=1

these cells look interesting would be easier to build with
Apologies for the OT, but I'm close to ordering some batteries for my Soekris, and am wondering if these would be a better choice than the usual AA-style ones for that application...?

Richard
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Derek wrote:Hi Nigel
Is there room left for me to sign on for the group buy?
After listening to the amp at Fran's last week it was truly impressive, I want one!
loads of room/time
ill put up 15th june as a deadline for the gb as the as delivery times for some of the components can run into 3-6 wks