Ultrasonic cleaning

Fran
Site Admin

Ultrasonic cleaning

Post by Fran »

Well, maybe I'm a suckered for these things, but I recently saw a post on Facebook describing an ultrasonic record cleaner. The story is that the cleaner was being made in Poland by a guy who was using readily available parts, all very simply made, but of good quality and value. So having lurked and watched for a while, I finally took a punt and bought. Important things first, the cleaner came in at about €185 including post and took about a week to get here.
423201620462.jpg
423201620462.jpg (109.46 KiB) Viewed 759 times
4232016204414.jpg
4232016204414.jpg (107.65 KiB) Viewed 759 times
4232016204446.jpg
4232016204446.jpg (111.62 KiB) Viewed 759 times
4232016204446.jpg
4232016204446.jpg (111.62 KiB) Viewed 759 times
The liquid recommended was the usual 3+1 water to isopropanol with wetting agent.

First batch is due to go on the deck soon!
Do or do not, there is no try
Gerry D

Re: Ultrasonic cleaning

Post by Gerry D »

Await your views with baited breath Fran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

That's cheaper than it would be to make one! Yes, test results are awaited anxiously!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Yeah, that was my thinking too, plus multiple shipping costs etc would push it high.

The construction is simple but looks durable. I bought the one with a motor so you can walk away from it. The spindle to hold the record could probably be slicker. The retaining nuts are tightened with a small screwdriver, it's easy but just not slick. The record spacers are jam jar lids of the exact right size.

So I bought a copy of Ry Cooders "Get Rhythm" in Munich. Secondhand, but clean. Fair bit of surface noise, and not the greatest recording ever. After cleaning it is absolutely silent. I actually thought the previous was switched to the dac. I'm on the second disc now, Richard Thompson, Some enchanted evening, mfsl 45rpm recording. It's pretty damn good, got to say.

Next up is a dirty copy of one of the verve remixed albums. Sense is that it's worth it though.
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Very interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
culabula

Post by culabula »

Can you supply the link from where to order it, please ?
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Here you go, if you search for item 301949140516 on eBay you should get it.

If you want to see mine first, no problem. Bear in mind that it is diy so it's not very polished. But it works very well.

BTW, radionics is the cheapest place I could get isopropyl alcohol.

Fran
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

Wow looks really cool !
Tubes & Vinyls are making life brighter..
Satrus

Post by Satrus »

Fran wrote:Yeah, that was my thinking too, plus multiple shipping costs etc would push it high.

The construction is simple but looks durable. I bought the one with a motor so you can walk away from it. The spindle to hold the record could probably be slicker. The retaining nuts are tightened with a small screwdriver, it's easy but just not slick. The record spacers are jam jar lids of the exact right size.

So I bought a copy of Ry Cooders "Get Rhythm" in Munich. Secondhand, but clean. Fair bit of surface noise, and not the greatest recording ever. After cleaning it is absolutely silent. I actually thought the previous was switched to the dac. I'm on the second disc now, Richard Thompson, Some enchanted evening, mfsl 45rpm recording. It's pretty damn good, got to say.

Next up is a dirty copy of one of the verve remixed albums. Sense is that it's worth it though.
I have been using the Klaudio Ultra Sonic Vinyl Cleaner since December 2014. Your observations on the Ry Cooder album are typical of what this type of cleaning can do for viny LPs. Some years ago, I picked up an original Jennifer Warnes 'Blue Raincoat' LP in Germany. It was a new 'old stock' copy and it looked fine in the store but when I got it home it had quite a lot of scuff marks from the card inner sleeve. When I played it, it was unlistenable due to the noise so I put it aside. However, when I put on the Klaudio later the same year, it played silently and without noise. It looks to be in EX- or even VG condition only due to surface damage, but it plays fine.

I would not be enthusiastic about using isapropyl alcohol though to clean records, or indeed any alcohol? I used to use this when I had a Keith Monks machine in the 1980s but it can have adverse effects on vinyl, in my experience. If anybody is interested in this topic, viz. ultra sonic cleaning, there is more on my website, www.vinyllpcare.com
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Good information Satrus. The solution used is essentially 75% water, 25% isopropyl alcohol (aka isopropanol, propanol, propan-2-ol or 2-propanol) with a small amount of wetting agent. The only alternative is the enzyme based solution - art du son maybe? Can't remember the manufacturer for sure.

I don't believe it can harm vinyl (shellac 78s are a different story) though - I understand it's what is used in all the wet/dry vacuum cleaners? I'm interested to hear what you are using instead though. If we can get the same results without the propanol all the better.