It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 22

jkeny

Re: It didn't explode....... YET

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:
Diapason wrote:Where do you put the CDs in? :)
short answer is to be an amp

long answer is that its a self sustaining reference power supply providing between 0-66 v dc in 3.3v increments
suitable for all things audio:)
I thought you were just intending to use it as your amplifier PS?
Are you thinking of using it in the way highlighted - having taps off each 3.3V to external connections for powering other equipment i.e external connections for 3.3v, 6.6V, 9.9V, etc.?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote:
Diapason wrote:Where do you put the CDs in? :)
short answer is to be an amp

long answer is that its a self sustaining reference power supply providing between 0-66 v dc in 3.3v increments
suitable for all things audio:)
I thought you were just intending to use it as your amplifier PS?
yes thats the final intention
Are you thinking of using it in the way highlighted - having taps off each 3.3V to external connections for powering other equipment i.e external connections for 3.3v, 6.6V, 9.9V, etc.?
this build will be an amp which i am excited about,
however even more excited about the possibilities of this ps system of which it would be possible to have a good sounding source/s/dac/amps all in one unit powered by one main power supply system
i have 4 10 secondaries transformers left when i finish this i might consider an all in one jobby

i will likely put a jfet buffer in it when i figure out which suits best, hopefully using the same ps system as ill compare to external battery pack and if it's as good as the battery packs i'll know all is golden
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I think I have a spare DCB1 board if you want it....
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Fran wrote:I think I have a spare DCB1 board if you want it....
Well ive no need for the power section it might be a bit of a waste
But if youve no use for it it certainly would be useful
Thanks
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

no worries...
Do or do not, there is no try
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Impressive build Nige, would be interested to see how they would perform on some large cones like in Darius Speakers.
The instantaneous power available should be serious.

Post by nige2000 »

Sligolad wrote:Impressive build Nige, would be interested to see how they would perform on some large cones like in Darius Speakers.
The instantaneous power available should be serious.
yes i hadn't thought of that
it certainly would be interesting
fast transients are really good with a steep clean leading edge
the speed of the push pull on the cones is unreal when you look close

id nearly consider slowing down the ps with some caps to give the drivers a bit of a breather

im no speaker expert so im guessing that because the larger cone has to do far less travel to move the same amount of air it would be in a better position to deal with the dynamics/speed of the signal from the lifepo4 powered amp?
tony

Post by tony »

Ken is chomping at the bit to try that bomb on his speakers. His experience recently has harden his resolve to take risks:)
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:Ken is chomping at the bit to try that bomb on his speakers. His experience recently has harden his resolve to take risks:)
kinda looks like a bomb or what i think a bomb would look like, like most audio the power supply is the foundation on which to build
and this sure is one crazy power supply
the amp itself is just integrated circuit chips using peter daniels boards
http://www.audiosector.com/lm3875.shtml
which leaves the amp assembly pretty much as simple as signal in signal out and power supply +/- and gnd
the chances of buggering that up is slim

the self sustaining power supply has much much more connections to be made on what essentially is live when your building it
so plenty of excitement and suspense which is the reason for the thread title
i can assure you if a wrong connection was made the batteries would tell you immediately
the power supply section is functionally finished and stable there is a bit of tidying to be done
so if it was going to do anything dramatic it would have pretty much done it by now

id prefer to finish it completely before bringing it anywhere,
did i hear the trio 10's prefered 100w of power?
maybe that was just to have sufficient reserve/capacitance?
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

What's the power output of your new amp? I don't think the Trio's are hard to drive, although they are reputed to like some power to get going . When your amp is ready bring it down and we'll see.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers