asking for valuation

pink

asking for valuation

Post by pink »

Hello everybody
i am considering leaving Ireland i have set:
Castle Howard Serial No 80569
NAD 315BEE
all in very good condition like new, speakers are two beauties (pretty old ones) and noise they make is even better but you know the story i bet
question is how much is that gear worth these times, how much i could ask for them???
Adrian

Re: asking for valuation

Post by Adrian »

All depends on age, condition and desirability of the equipment.

Best to do your own research, check on other Hi fi sites, eBay, audio market etc.

Stuff normally sells at 1/2 price second hand all things being equal.

Older stuff generally sells cheaper, perhaps due to obsolescence / non availability of legacy components etc.

Traditional 2 channel hi fi market is fairly small in Ireland and postage of large bulky items such as floor standing speakers can be prohibitive.

You can always start the price on the high side, and then reduce until you get people interested.

Good quality photos always help too.

What models are the Castle Howard's ? S2 or S3?
Let the Good Times Roll...................
james

Post by james »

http://www.hifishark.com/

This will give you an idea of what other people are looking for price wise ...
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
pink

Post by pink »

[What models are the Castle Howard's ? S2 or S3?
i have no idea it does not say on the back sticker, but they are not s3 for sure the terminal plate is flush with cabinet my friend have similar set with no mark to but his terminals go little inside the cabinet that`s the difference i bought them a few years ago in Dublin from one of the guys who use to be on this forum or still is???

condition is great sound to
age??. they might be teenagers

i am considering taking them with me if i can`t get fair price.
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

Speakers are the most difficult items to sell.

What did you pay for them? how many years have you had them?
Subtract 5% for every year you have owned them.

My instinct is that you'll be bringing them with you unless there is someone out there who lusts after this particular speaker, but as you seem unsure as to which model it is, things aren't looking great!

SJB
pink

Post by pink »

panda2rom

Post by panda2rom »

Hi,

The amp should sell nicely around 100 euros.

Castle brand is doomed, while they made some excellent speakers, most people just never heard/cared about this brand... the resell value is horrible.
So keep them :)
And don't expect to get more than 250 euros IMO.

And yeah, you need better pics without the grills !
pink

Post by pink »

alright so the main problem is size, then maybe someone would fancy a swap for something more convenient for transport that will match my NAD ????
ps. i really like them and i wont swap for rubbish.
pink

Post by pink »

there is more photos in dropbox
tony

Post by tony »

panda2rom wrote:Hi,
Castle brand is doomed, while they made some excellent speakers, most people just never heard/cared about this brand... the resell value is horrible. So keep them :)
And don't expect to get more than 250 euros IMO.
!
Oooooooh! I hope Dermot doesn't see this. It could merit a trip down from Dundalk to discuss the merits of your assessment Francois :) Maybe a battle of the classic Brit speakers from the seventies and eighties.

I had an interest in the Howards when I got back into the Hifi thing but soon realized finding a pair in good nick was going to be tough. P2R is probably right about them but if in good condition you might get a Castle fan to stump up more. The main problem with them I would think for lots of people is the size and the upward firing bass cone might create problems. Have this expectation that they might have a big soundstage but be very bloated by a lot of today's standards.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.