MQA Anyone?

Sloop John B

Re: MQA Anyone?

Post by Sloop John B »

Also the volume was being controlled by the bluesound rather than a fixed output with volume being controlled by the amplifier. Ivan said the Bluesound chap said this wouldn't affect sound quality so maybe it's some sort of adjustment in the digital domain - or maybe not?

I still think it sounded good though, so will try and get another listen as MQA rolls out in the coming years.

SJB
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

jkeny wrote: I wonder if Cloney still has the Bluesound boxes & access to the Tidal MQA audio files?
I don't think they do, sadly.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

It's shoddy demoing like this that gives MQA a bad name & I'm not surprised that there is some backlash on the forums about it. It might be the best thing since sliced bread (& I hope it is) but there are too many ifs, buts & ands with that demo that my suspicions are are raised beyond where they should be.

It's never like that in Tony's demo room :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:It's shoddy demoing like this that gives MQA a bad name & I'm not surprised that there is some backlash on the forums about it. It might be the best thing since sliced bread (& I hope it is) but there are too many ifs, buts & ands with that demo that my suspicions are are raised beyond where they should be.

It's never like that in Tony's demo room :)
at least a little effort goes into a fair comparison
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Well, am I right in saying that one of the selling points of MQA is that it only requires the same amount of bandwidth as standard-res streams, so in that sense the comparison is somewhat valid.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Diapason wrote:Well, am I right in saying that one of the selling points of MQA is that it only requires the same amount of bandwidth as standard-res streams, so in that sense the comparison is somewhat valid.
Yes, I was just looking at it from the SQ aspect - the streaming side is equally, if not more important for many.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
Diapason wrote:Well, am I right in saying that one of the selling points of MQA is that it only requires the same amount of bandwidth as standard-res streams, so in that sense the comparison is somewhat valid.
Yes, I was just looking at it from the SQ aspect - the streaming side is equally, if not more important for many.
guilty of prioritising the sound quality above convience too, at much cost sometimes
just look at the inconvenience of setting up a CA system

dont think music files are ready to travel by air
at least as far as sound quality or even rock solid stability is concerned
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Come on in, Nige, the water's fine!

Must admit, most of my "non-serious" listening these days is Spotify, wireless and I don't have a problem with drop-outs. Yes, it's not high-rez, it's not even CD quality, but it sounds fine for our use in the kitchen or whatever. This is what the rest of the world is doing (apart from crazy audiophiles like ourselves) and it's only becoming more prevalent. As I said on another thread, the day of a personal collection (physical media, files, whatever) is over for the vast majority of youngsters.

I think that better sound without upping the bandwidth is a worthy goal, but I'm not at all clear how MQA is meant to stack up in absolute quality terms versus high-res PCM, DSD, DXD, or any other TLAs.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Diapason wrote:Come on in, Nige, the water's fine!

Must admit, most of my "non-serious" listening these days is Spotify, wireless and I don't have a problem with drop-outs. Yes, it's not high-rez, it's not even CD quality, but it sounds fine for our use in the kitchen or whatever. This is what the rest of the world is doing (apart from crazy audiophiles like ourselves) and it's only becoming more prevalent. As I said on another thread, the day of a personal collection (physical media, files, whatever) is over for the vast majority of youngsters.

I think that better sound without upping the bandwidth is a worthy goal, but I'm not at all clear how MQA is meant to stack up in absolute quality terms versus high-res PCM, DSD, DXD, or any other TLAs.
tbh i find streamed audio doesn't hold my attention and a bit irritating after a while
even not having drop-outs and been able to recognise the track doesn't really do it for me
not particularly worried about hires,
sometimes it feels like hires is like trying to run before it's mastered walking,
anyway running can make you sweat which is extra noise

but thats nothing to do with mqa which i nothing about yet
at a quick glance it looks like more compression for the generation of convience
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs ... -flac-674/
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Here are all your MQA questions answered http://www.computeraudiophile.com/conte ... /#anchor47 especially from Q 42 onwards.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers