Bluesound

Ken Moreland

Re: Bluesound

Post by Ken Moreland »

i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Diapason wrote:Nige, you wouldn't be interested in this product no matter what, I'd say!!

Interesting that the Chromecast Audio works at 2.4GHz. I thought I read some ranting and raving on the Sky forums, but I could have got the wrong end of the stick. That would indeed be an easier purchase in the short term.
It works at both 2.4GHz & 5GHz, whichever your WiFi router uses.I used it on 2.4GHz& had no problems, no drops- it may depend on how close you are to your router i.e. how strong the signal? I haven't tried it in remote parts of the mansion :)

@Nige - as far as WiFi is concerned, I think we have learned that once the signal can be reconstructed & all electrical noise can be reduced to below a certain level, then we are golden SQ-wise
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
@Nige - as far as WiFi is concerned, I think we have learned that once the signal can be reconstructed & all electrical noise can be reduced to below a certain level, then we are golden SQ-wise
Wish that was the case

so much sq potential with the digital its a shame to see it taking the wrong path
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

I've been using a Bluesound Vault for 18 months or so.
Convenient for sure.
But also, imo, very good sound.
DAC improved sq of course.
2TB of storage, easily backed up, radio, Tidal, Spotify, 24/192 from HD Tracks etc and USB. Regular updates and ever improving interface app.
And MQA compatible.
Best of all it is plug and play!

TBH I can't knock it. I believe I have a good ear but my priority always is listenability, musicality and truth. i.e. The feeling that the Artist/Musician/Composer wants conveyed.
MQA seems really easy on the ear and the demo illustrated very fine timing, stereo imaging and realistic sounds.
Less harsh digital goings on. The easiest non analogue sound I've ever experienced perhaps.

Science or Art ?

Isn't it that simple ?

And I wonder if ultimately these digital industry guys aren't really just chasing the more truthful and emotional qualities that possibility can only be acquired via a decent record player, a sweet amp and honest speakers.
The best bit about vinyl maybe is that it's more or less fully evolved and so we can just sit back and enjoy the music. Aaaah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
tony

Post by tony »

Convenience and flexibility Nigel is what that type of solution offers and in the situation Simon is describing it is an excellent solution. But I think Simon is trying to make us forget he has Sonus Fabers,Graaf Mono's, Wadia 860 and a shed load of acoustic panels in his other room.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Moi?!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

i was going to post a list of components in these devices thats harmful to signal integrity
but i figured it would take me too long as im a slow typer
i did find this review that stated using it with good external dacs that it performed much better but yet could not outperform a macbookpro with same external dacs (which is also bad)

http://thehbproject.com/en/reviews/147/ ... nd-Quality
I requested a Node sample as well. My fear appeared to be unfounded: the Node has the same audio qualities as the Vault. So I took them one notch up and hooked them up to Set 2, again using the analoge line outputs. I was just in the process of updating Set 2, replacing the fine M2Tech Young d/a-converter with the even finer Chord Hugo. As was to be expected the d/a-converter in the Node and Vault were no match for both the Young and the Hugo. At three to four times the price for just a d/a-converter that is to be expected. But when connected using the optical digital output both the Vault and the Node performed close - but not equal - to the Macbook Pro connected over USB. There was slightly lower detail and texture and the highs were not as smooth and open while the low end reached less deep down. But I would be able to live with that if I didn’t have a Mac solely for music playback
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I don't doubt it can't compete in sonic terms with tricked out PCs, external DACs, etc. However, given that I don't have an external DAC, a preamp, nor any time to tinker (!) I'm all about the convenience of dropping in one box that does an OK job and that has a built-in volume control. The Wadia will still be there for more serious duty, and when the time comes to buy a "real" solution I know I'll have to pay up. This is probably the most tempting interim solution I've seen yet, so I'll probably borrow one and see how I get on when Cloney get them back in stock.

In the end I'll embrace computer audio properly, but I'll never (and I mean NEVER) put up with a command line interface...!!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Diapason wrote:I don't doubt it can't compete in sonic terms with tricked out PCs, external DACs, etc. However, given that I don't have an external DAC, a preamp, nor any time to tinker (!) I'm all about the convenience of dropping in one box that does an OK job and that has a built-in volume control. The Wadia will still be there for more serious duty, and when the time comes to buy a "real" solution I know I'll have to pay up. This is probably the most tempting interim solution I've seen yet, so I'll probably borrow one and see how I get on when Cloney get them back in stock.

In the end I'll embrace computer audio properly, but I'll never (and I mean NEVER) put up with a command line interface...!!
whats it to replace?
nuc with daphile /wadia dac thing?
cos i wouldnt bet bluesound is an upgrade
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

nige2000 wrote: whats it to replace?
nuc with daphile /wadia dac thing?
cos i wouldnt bet bluesound is an upgrade
Not replacing anything. I want a cheap way of listening to Spotify (or whatever, Tidal, TuneIn) on the main system, but I'm not willing to start adding separate DACs and a preamp to get there. It doesn't need to be the last work in audiophilia, it just needs to sound ok and work! I liked what I heard on Sunday, even using its own DAC, sonically I thought it acquitted itself very well.